• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Hidden Gems - Kaa Sangwa Kinnit and Kpakpo Shito

So I went to the Como Conservatory here in Minneapolis today and found a few surprises.  There was an edible section with a bunch of fruit trees and all kinds of edible plants.  Imagine my surprise when right inside the door was a Douglah.  I made my way around the room and picked pods from 6 different pepper plants:

Kaa Sangwa Kinnit
Mako Akokosrade
Mako Kokoo
Aji Chombo
Kpakpo Shito
Piment Cabri

Some of them had a decent amount of seeds while others were pretty sparse.  And as I was sitting here just now typing this up I rubbed my eye right after I saved all the seeds.  I guess I was missing the eye burn from the summer and fall.

Missed a letter in Kpakpo.

Adding the only picture I have.  Accidentally left my phone at home so I was unable to get pictures of the plants.

IMG_20140322_163122_072_zpsgiplxpao.jpg

Editing to add I saw the review from Nigel for a couple of these peppers.  Looks like Joe Delaney lives in this area too and has posted about several of these peppers before.  I am curious if he was the source of the seeds/plants in the conservatory.

I expect Joe was the source of these seeds for those. That is a truly great find!!!

Joe has seeds from Ghana and some close-by countries, plus a lot of Panamanian and Venezuelan peppers. Those are all from Ghana or Panama I think.

I do have a small quantity of the following available for SASBE or SASE, just PM me.  Haha, totally forgot to mention I probably shouldn't have picked the pods, I just couldn't resist.  :)

Kaa Sangwa Kinnit
Mako Akokosrade
Kpakpo Shito

Some Botanical Gardens will have a specialty vegetable garden like rare pepper varieties often if you ask the curator of the garden they will often allow you to pick a few pods for seeds as they get a percentage of their seeds from the USDA Seed Bank they often have at least 4 or 5 rare wild pepper along with several other little known South American Aji ( C. baccatum,) Brazilian C. Chinense and others There is one near the east Coast that I no longer have their email address that has a pepper expo every year or at least did so. I talked to the curator being that I could not make the trip and he was kind enough to pick me several pods from the plants at the end of the season when he had time and even labeled them for me. This was several years back but I bet If you ask nicely you could score on some unusual pepper seeds.     OT.   They do this for their orchids seeds and baby orchids although they don't guarantee what you might get.

Back