• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

soil High water pH affecting soil nutrient availability?

The pH of the water in Denver, Colorado is around 8. If I water my peppers with this, will the high pH lock out the nutrients in the soil?

My hydro guys says fine in soil, but I live in Orlando, a big lime stome/coral sand island, so even that much no problem, But my DWC is a different story, Ph 6.0 works. Outside i think it's a different story with the life in the soil workin for ya. :beer:

Unfortunately my area has horrible water, the pH tops out my meter at 8.5 and I have no doubt it's much higher. Also straight from tap it test roughly 750ppm, so ya.. It's nasty stuff. This season was one that really taught me the hard lesson about having GOOD water regardless if it's soil or hydro. Once I figured out why my plants were looking like sick aliens I started to water with pH adjusted water and the outcome was amazing, a complete 180! I personally adjust to exactly 6.0 and have been getting great results in both soil and hydro.

-J

Ya it's brutal stuff, why I went with an RO system haha. Also depends on time of year and what well is active at the time.

-J

mmmm, I did something last weekend, that caused nute lockout. No idea what yet. At fist I thought it was just a bug problem with one plant and now it's spreading. I have a tank and pump I use to feed all my plants through the irrigation, so they're all going to suffer soon until I work out what was off.
I feel your pain with nute lockout.

I figured that my water's alkalinity was due to carbonate hardness. Is there anyway to remove the carbonate from the water other than an RO filter?

Otherwise, as long as the pH of the soil isn't affected, it's ok, right?

Back