• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Highalt's 2012 Grow Log

I haven't made it to the super hot level yet, so not sure how interesting you guys will find this, but I like having one place to post all of my pictures throughout the season, so here goes.

2012 Preliminary Grow List:

Aji Yellow
Alma Paprika
Ancho Gigantia
Ancho San Luis
Barker (NuMex)
Big Jim (NuMex)
Black Hungarian
Chile de Arbol
Chile Hidalgo (don't actually have seeds for this one yet)
Chilhaucle Rojo
Chimayo
Cosa Arrugada
Costeno Amarillo
Fish
Fresno
Georgia Flame
Giant Szegedi
Habanero Chocolate
Habanero Peach
Hawaiian Sweet Hot
Inca Red Drop
Jalapeno 'Biker Billy' (The only hybrid on the list)
Jaloro
Japone
Jimmy Nardello
Lemon Drop
Melrose
NuMex Espanola Improved
NuMex Pinata (don't have seeds for this one yet either)
Patio Red Marconi
Piment 'd Espelette
Rain Forest
Rocotillo
Sante Fe Grande
Serrano Tampiqueno
Tollie's Sweet Italian

*Disclaimer - this list is subject to change ... hourly

I host an annual group pepper seed swap on another site, so I'm sure I'll probably add to this list once that gets going, but this is the bulk of what I plan to grow anyway. The problem with adding to this list isn't where to plant them, it's finding enough cat-free space indoors to start them all!

If you check out my post on early season Serrano substitutes you'll see I'm still looking for information on a few of the peppers I"m thinking of growing. It's so much better hearing from someone that has actually grown a variety, rather than going by a description on a seed vendor's website!

The habaneros may get started in the next couple of weeks, but I'll probably wait until February to start the rest. I'll be back with pictures once the seeds are in the dirt.

Nice list! We're matched up with a few of those. I'm following you with the intent to grow the Tampiqueno and the Hildalgo to see which is earliest. Can never get enough Serranos, and never ripe for that first batch of salsa.

Which of those on your list do you think you'll use for paprika besides the Alma? Your posts last year led me to buy (and then powder) some Faher Ozon at a public market and I'm on a quest for paprika (blends) this year.

Wish I could talk you into trying some Pequins--little bullets of extra heat and flavor for your zuke relish!

Good growing to you.... :cool:

This past year, I made powder out of a lot of things, but the main one I used for sweet paprika was Cosa Arrugada. It was sweet, but no heat, and super productive. The next mild - med. level paprika was made with a blend of Chilhaucle Rojo, Kalocsai V2, and Czechoslovakian Black. I also made a batch from Sandia, which was very mild and gets used in cooking almost daily. The hottest powder I made was from Aji Yellow, but I haven't used much of it yet ...my better half has been whining about my overuse of peppers lately! :rofl:

I have seeds for Pequin, though I hadn't really given them any serious thought, but since you mentioned my zucchini relish, now I'll have to consider them. :think:

Nice list, I'm not growing as many supers this year, i have some of the same on your list that i know for sure i will be doing... Good luck!!!

Nice growlist.................you've chosen some pretty tasty peppers
I find there's good flavor in the non-super hots..............and you have quite a few good ones on your list
Good luck with your 2012 grow...

Greg

Thanks everyone for your encouragement!

Last year, I used 1L plastic soda bottles as mini greenhouses. I used a soldering iron to poke a few holes in the bottom of the bottle, cut it in half, cut a V shaped tab in the top half so it fit snuggly back together. Once the seeds germinated, I simply removed the top half

Here's a pic from last year's grow.

Newgrowlightset-up.jpg

A couple of people suggested coloring the bottom half of the bottle either black or white to help keep the roots from being exposed to the light, which I plan to do this year.

I put 2 - 4 seeds per bottle and separated the sprouts into their own container once they had a set of true leaves. Now I'm wondering if having to transplant so soon is good for the plant. Don't really have a bunch of money to spend on fancy seed trays, but I like the idea of sticking the whole plug into a larger container without having to separate tiny seedlings. Guess I need to shop around a bit.

Very excited! While I was looking around online at different seed starting trays and growing mediums, I ended up on Fox Farm's website and discovered that there is a hydroponics & organics retailer just a couple of towns over. I've lived here almost 6 years, and never saw this place before. It's only about 25 miles from here, and judging from their website, they have quite an extensive selection. For those of you in larger cities, this probably doesn't seem like a big deal, but when you live in a small town, surrounded by other small towns, this is a pretty major. Somehow I think the fact that I live in one of the only states that allows the sale of medical marijuana has something to do with the fact that a hydroponics place could make enough money to stay in business in this area.
Anyway, can't wait to schedule a trip over there!!! After that, it's GAME ON :dance:

Glad you were able to find fox farm products close by. Have you ever grew the chilhaucle rojo that is on your list and if so what did you think of it?

Yes, I grew it last year, and I liked it a lot. Mostly mild, though the heat was variable. The heat dissipated some with cooking. Mainly I dried them and ground them into powder. The heat is more concentrated in the powder, but has a nice flavor.

Well, so much for not spending a bunch of money! In addition to ordering about 25 more varieties of pepper seeds today, I finally made it to the hydroponics store, and picked up a couple of 72 cell seed trays, humidity domes, rapid rooter plugs, plant markers, and something called Azamax that's supposed to be an organic pesticide for my aphid/fungus gnat problem. Don't even ask how much I spent!

I'm thinking if I use the paper towel/plastic baggie germination method, that would buy me some time to treat the bug infestation before the babies go in the seed trays.

In the meantime, I may have to rethink the growlist, since I'm pretty sure I don't have enough room for sixty different varieties of peppers!!!

Well, I've whittled it down to 58 now ... okay, maybe there are two or three more I can live without. :lol:

I have 400 sq. ft. at the community garden, but I have to leave room for some tomatoes, or there won't be any salsa to can. Hmmm ... I could live without the broccoli or cauliflower, but I have to save enough room for one or two zucchini plants. Decisions, decisions, LOL! May have to buy more containers, and stick a few on the porch. Who needs flowers there anyway. As long as the developers of our subdivision don't start building in the empty lot next door anytime soon, I can use the area on the outside of our fenceline for stuff like melons and pumpkins, so that could buy me a few more feet at the community garden. If only I could talk the spouse into removing more lawn, and expanding the existing vegetable bed that's in the front yard. I'm sure the HOA won't mind.

This morning, I sprayed the overwintered pepper plants with insecticidal soap again, and used the Azamax to drench the soil. I'll repeat that again in 10 - 14 days, and hopefully the aphid and fungus gnats will be under control by the time my seeds start sprouting.

Here are the varieties I've added to my growlist:
Aji Angelo
Aji de la Tierra
Aji Picante
Aji Rojo
Belize Sweet
Cachucha
Cochiti
Chilhaucle Amarillo
Chiero Recife (thanks, Romy!)
Grenada Seasoning
Mulato Isleno
Pequin
Pimenta Barro do Robiero (see Romy, it's your fault my list keeps growing, haha)
Trinidad Perfume
Sucette de Provence
Tobago Seasoning
Trinidad Perfume

Also, I think I'll replace Serrano Tampiqueno with Serrano Hausteco, and Giant Szegedi with Pusztagold.

The two 72 cell trays will fit nicely on my growlight table. The only problem is what to do with the overwintering pepper plants that are there now. Maybe they'll fit on the windowsill.

72CellSeedStartingTrays.jpg

(yeah, I know, my date stamp was wrong. Grrrr...)

Highalt? I have some Chili De Agua seeds from Oaxaca, Southern Mexico. Very rare, would you like to trade?

It is a mild to hot variety

I finally sowed some seeds!!! :dance:

It's only about a third of what's on my growlist, but I thought I would start with the chinense and baccatum peppers, since most of them need a longer growing season than the annums.

PeppersStarted1-24-12.jpg

So here's what was sown:

Aji Angelo (2)
Aji Chinchi Amarillo (2)
Aji de la Tierra (2)
Aji Picante (2)
Aji Rojo (2) (sown after picture was taken)
Aji Yellow (2)
Belize Sweet (2)
Cachucha (2)
Cheiro Recife (2)
Cajamarca (2)
Grenada Seasoning (2)
Habanero Chocolate (2)
Habanero Peach (2)
Inca Red Drop (2)
Lemon Drop (2) (sown after picture was taken)
Pequin (2)
Pimenta Barro do Robiero (2)
Rain Forest (2)
Rocotillo (2)
Tobago Seasoning (2)
Trinidad Perfume (2)
Zavory (2)

I'm using the Rapid Rooter plugs for the first time, so I'm curious to see how my germination and growth rate compares to previous years when I just started them in whatever seed starting mix I had on hand.

I would like to say thank you to Romy6, Smokemaster, Ajijoe, and Avon Barksdale for sharing your seeds with me, even if you guys did make it impossible to narrow down my growlist! Very excited about all of the new varieties I'm growing. It looks like I'll be swimming in peppers this year!

Back