• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Highalt's 2013 Grow - End of Season Wrap Up

I know some of you guys have already started seeds for next year's grow, and I should have started the Manzano's a month ago, but I am still working on finalizing the grow list.

Each year since I started growing peppers, the list has gotten bigger, and they have taken up a larger % of my vegetable growing space. I started working part-time 3 months ago, and I am a mother of three, so I am struggling with being realistic about how much time I can devote to pepper growing this coming season. Right now, I've got between 65 and 70 varieties on the list, and some of them I'd really like to have more than one plant. Last year, I ended up with about 50 varieties and a total of 75 plants. So you can see that I have some work to do before I start putting the seeds in the dirt!

I thought I would go ahead and put up my tentative list, and use the feedback I get from you guys to help me narrow things down a bit. Those of you that know me will notice that I still haven't gotten brave enough to add any supers yet ... maybe next year. :snooty:

So here's what I got so far:

Annums
Alice's Favorite
Alma Paprika
Ancho Gigantia, and/or Ancho San Luis
Barker (NuMex)
Biker Billy Jalapeno
Black Hungarian
Cayenne Thick (Can't remember who it was that was raving about this one this past season, but I don't have seeds for this one yet.)
Chilhuacle Amarillo
Chocolate Cherry
Cochiti
Cosa Arrugada and/or Pepperoncini
Costeno Amarillo
Fish
Fresno
Georgia Flame
Goat's Weed
Golden Cayenne
Hungarian Hot Wax
Jaloro
Jamaican Hot Yellow (Anyone have a source for these? It's confusing to me that the Jamaican Hot Choc. is a Chinense, but this one is listed as an Anuum!)
Jimmy Nardello
Leutschauer Paprika
Lumbre
Mulato Isleno
NuMex Pinata
NuMex Vaquero
Patio Red Marconi
Pusztagold
Sandia
Sante Fe Grande
Serrano (Not sure which one. May try the purple one this year.)
Tangerine Pimento and/or Yummy
Tobasco (Need seeds for this one.)
Zapotec Jalapeno

Baccatums
Aji Chinchi Amarillo
Aji Yellow
Birgit's Locoto
Bishop's Crown (Don't actually have seeds for this one yet. If anyone has some, I'd be willing to trade for them.)
El Oro de Equador
Inca Red Drop
Lemon Drop (Maybe. Last time they were bitter. May try a difference source.)
Pimenta Barro do Robiero
Purple de Arbol and/or Negro de Arbol (Which one is better?)

Chinenses
Aji Dulce (type 1 or 2 ?) Is this the same as Rocotillo?
Aji Limo Rojo
Bonda ma Jacques (Don't have seeds for this one yet either. May just grow Gold Bullet or regular yellow habanero as a substitute?)
Cheiro Roxa
Habanero, Peach (and maybe the Pink as well)
Habanero, White (I have the regular white, and White Bullet. Is the Peruvian White better, or are they all about the same?)
Jamaican Hot Chocolate
Purple Bhut (Okay, I don't have seeds for this one either. Maybe I'll substitute Condor's Beak if I can't find any.)
Scotch Bonnet Yellow (Have some labeled True Jamaican Scotch Bonnet. Should those be yellow? Or red?)

Pubescens (Yeah, I know I'm really too late on these, and probably won't get any ripe fruit this coming season)
Orange Manzano
Red Manzano
Yellow Manzano

Well, I think that's about it. I'm sure the list will change a few more times before it's a done deal, but at least it's a start!

So tell me what you think about the ones I have questions on, or let me know where to find seeds for the ones I'm missing, or tell me what I should have on the list and don't. Just kidding on that last one!!!

Holy moly what a list!!! I wouldn't know where to begin recommending a cut back. I try to focus on growing what I like love to eat most. In my example it's Jamaican Habs for me and I add a few new varieties every year if possible, if things get to hectic I just gift some potted peppers away ... Great luck in your 2013 grow :)

good luck with the grow. waiting on pics! ;) :dance:

Just for you Sicman!

Firstseedsinthedirt12-29-12_zpsfced5068.jpg

Okay, so it's only one picture, but it means that the 2013 grow is officially underway. I wish I could have gotten those Manzanos started much earlier for my zone, but things were just too hectic around here to break out the seed starting stuff during the holiday season.

Those are Yellow, beautiful podshape and tasty from what I've heard :) Nice list and good luck with your 2013 grow!

Great! I was hoping that was the yellow one and not the red.

Holy moly what a list!!! I wouldn't know where to begin recommending a cut back. I try to focus on growing what I like love to eat most. In my example it's Jamaican Habs for me and I add a few new varieties every year if possible, if things get to hectic I just gift some potted peppers away ... Great luck in your 2013 grow :)

Did you catch my growlog in 2012? It was almost this bad, but I had more free time then. The problem is I have too many favorites, plus I want to grow everything I haven't tried before ... all at once!

Here's a link to last year's grow:

http://thehotpepper....-2012-grow-log/

I was going to buy the purple serrano last year but have heard negative remarks about the flavor. With the Aji Lemon, a lot like
the bactuum bettter than the chinense. I lost mine, so I will order some from peppermania when she updates her site.

I'll check if I have any bishop's crown, but I do have Chapeau Frade'.

Hi Bonnie
You beat me to the heat mat with the Manzanos... I'm not going to get mine in the soil until next weekend. I think it was Fernando (SoCalChilehead) that gave you the Cayenne Thick seeds. I have some seeds for the Jamaican Hot Yellow that I got from Shane, and a few more from KingDeNNiZ... if you'd like some, just say the word. Ditto on anything in my trade list.
Good luck with your 2013 grow, I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for it. Cheers!

Hi Rick! I wish I did have a heat mat! That might speed things up a bit with those Manzanos.

I don't actually have the seeds for the Cayenne Thick, but I put it on my grow list anyway. Kind of putting the cart before the horse there, but since it's an annum, I figured I still had time to score some seeds for those. :lol:

Shane sent me a few Jamaican Hot Yellow Pods, but I didn't save any seeds from them because of the virus issues he was having.

If you want, I can send some from both the Cayenne Thick and the Jamaican Hot Yellow that I got from KingDeNNiZ. No virus issues there.

Hi Bonnie,

That's a great list of varieties that you pot together. Theres alot of flavor going on with the list of annuums. The Aji Dulce can be comparable to the Nu-Mex Suave. Very mild in heat, good producer with a Hab like flavor. With any of the "Dulce's" that I've grown make a nice enhancer to a "Pico de Gallo" for those folks who don't care for the scorching heat but love the flav.

The Jamaican Hot Yellow is an annuum. The pods are thicker skinned, and milder tasting than the sort after c.chinense "Jamaican Yellow Scotch Bonnet" In my opinion theres no comparsion between the two.

I'd grow the Bonda Ma Jacques over the other two....easily

If your True Jamaican Bonnets are the real deal then they should be yellow, squat shaped with four lobes not three. The Jamaican Bonnets have now become my favorite pepper to grow. ....maybe 40+ plants this season for sauce making.

Good luck with your 2013, ....I can't wait to see the "food venue's" that come out of your garden, The photos of the meals and food processing always look great !

Greg

I can help with the cayenne, jamaican yellow, and the bishops crown. My lemon drops had a bit of a bitter taste early in the season, but when I made salsa later in the year they were really good.

Good luck on your grow. I think I will start in two weeks with my longer duration varieties.

Look forward to watching your grow.

Great list Bonnie! All usable table varieties! I would really love to help with some of your list, but it looks like you're covered everywhere I could support. I suspect that my original viral outbreak came from one of my purple bhut seeds. I bought them from a guy who was new to the business. I should have found a more reliable source. I have maybe 3 seeds left, but didn't put them on my list for that reason so I would never dream of sending them elsewhere. The Cayenne Thick's were from Fernando (Socalchilehead) I may have some seeds for that one, I will check today.

Hi Bonnie,

That's a great list of varieties that you pot together. Theres alot of flavor going on with the list of annuums. The Aji Dulce can be comparable to the Nu-Mex Suave. Very mild in heat, good producer with a Hab like flavor. With any of the "Dulce's" that I've grown make a nice enhancer to a "Pico de Gallo" for those folks who don't care for the scorching heat but love the flav.

The Jamaican Hot Yellow is an annuum. The pods are thicker skinned, and milder tasting than the sort after c.chinense "Jamaican Yellow Scotch Bonnet" In my opinion theres no comparsion between the two.

I'd grow the Bonda Ma Jacques over the other two....easily

If your True Jamaican Bonnets are the real deal then they should be yellow, squat shaped with four lobes not three. The Jamaican Bonnets have now become my favorite pepper to grow. ....maybe 40+ plants this season for sauce making.

Good luck with your 2013, ....I can't wait to see the "food venue's" that come out of your garden, The photos of the meals and food processing always look great !

Greg

So which one do you like better on the Jamaican Hot Yellow, the one labeled annum or the chinense?

I'd pick the Bonda Ma Jacques over the regular yellow habs too, except I don't actually have seeds for it yet. Do you know a reliable source on them?

My True Jamaican Bonnet seeds came from Smokemaster. Looking forward to growing them!

Great list Bonnie! All usable table varieties! I would really love to help with some of your list, but it looks like you're covered everywhere I could support. I suspect that my original viral outbreak came from one of my purple bhut seeds. I bought them from a guy who was new to the business. I should have found a more reliable source. I have maybe 3 seeds left, but didn't put them on my list for that reason so I would never dream of sending them elsewhere. The Cayenne Thick's were from Fernando (Socalchilehead) I may have some seeds for that one, I will check today.

I think Rick is going to hook me up with some of Fernando's Cayenne Thick seeds, so I'm all set there.

Still need to find a source for the Purple Bhut, but yeah, I think I'll pass on the ones you've got. Growing here is challenging enough without throwing a virus in the mix!

Back