food hippy jerkey.

well i thought "Haven't made jerkey in nearly a year so might as well since i got that pouch of jerkey cure." so i got myself a steak cut it up and put this stuff on it.....

Picture488.jpg

yes indeed thats Neils NagaSav plus some decently hot jerkey cure and for that extra kick a couple douses of my home ground hab powder.

so eather later today or tomorow i will be posting pics of the finished product includeing heat assesment.. yumm cant wait.

oh right thats my razor hone under the NS and hab powder. i love that stone so much since you can make anything have a razors edge with that thing.

So did you ever get heat from that bottle?

not yet but i should be re trying the vid later today. its still got that good savina whack its just i dident feel any heat that i am not familiar with. like the torch that is the naga's.

mate i look forward to seeing the final result......

and in regards to the sauce. it's not like it doesn't have any heat in it.....:). its more set up to get a really nice flavour without the heat killing the taste buds......i have a bottle in the fridge and you will love it on the jerky....:)

dident say it wasent hot i absolutely love the taste of it its just i was expecting it to have me sweating a bit. i just dident get the naga's kick thats the only niggle i had with the bottle. since the reactions that quaddy and the others had from it. im definately getting another bottle later on hellz yea.

but anyways jerkey its maranating away hapily in the fridge so cant wait for it to fininish.

texas blues said:
Meat looks a bit thick for jerky. Are you smoking or dehydrating?

Salute', TB.
Not to nit pick, but I also see fat. Fat turns rancid, you need to remove it. Next time use a lean meat with no marbling and trim it.

yea i am going to chop that tip off... and i dont expect that jerkey to last longer than 3 days as it is and its going to be refrigerated.... yea jerkey is adicting.

oh yea and they will be done in the oven. as the directions say so... and i have neither a smoker or dehidrater done it like this before turns out good.

N_FF said:
yea i am going to chop that tip off... and i dont expect that jerkey to last longer than 3 days as it is and its going to be refrigerated.... yea jerkey is adicting.

oh yea and they will be done in the oven. as the directions say so... and i have neither a smoker or dehidrater done it like this before turns out good.

Awesome, I love some good homemade beef jerky. I demand pics of it when it's finished.

Best way to make beef jerky IMO is to use a 20" box fan with some paper air filters strapped to the front using some bungee cords. No heat necessary, and it dries in about 12 hrs. Real ass beef jerky is made without heat.

Some say you need to heat it to 145 for 10 min to kill bacteria, but if you cure it properly first it doesn't matter all that much. Especially if you consume it within a few days like me, it never sticks around long enough to risk going bad.

And while we're on the subject, you might check out this thread from '08, has lots of info from various members.

http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthread.php?t=7205

texas blues said:
Meat looks a bit thick for jerky. Are you smoking or dehydrating?

Salute', TB.

you can make thick cut jerky, I've did it with smoker & dehydrator.

thehotpepper.com said:
Not to nit pick, but I also see fat. Fat turns rancid, you need to remove it. Next time use a lean meat with no marbling and trim it.

its ok as long as you eat it right away. not saying alot of fat is good, you still need to trim most of it but some is ok. theres still small ammounts of fat in the store bought jerky.

you could say the same thing as storing uncooked meat with fat on it, or what part of the meat you see goes bad 1st ? usually you see the meat turn color 1st, just like the green grey discounted specials in the meat market :lol:

Pepperfreak said:
mmm...You got me thinking that I haven't made jerky for a while either. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

same here, havent made any jerky for along time. I could go for some.

That's true. Usually when I think jerky I think dried for long-term storage. Eaten within a few days will work.

CH I hear you on the thick jerky, however my teeth are not made of steel blades.

I too have done jerky every way imaginable. Smoked, dehydrator, in the oven, it's all good if done well.

Salute', TB.

yummm good and pretty hot too thats 2.5 hours at 200f
Picture528.jpg

lovely stuff great flavor and its about a 6 on the heat scale.

Looks good mate......I haven't done jerky in ages I might have to get some happening on the weekend......

Thanks for the pic

Does look awesome. :)

What cut of meat was it btw?

I prefer a nice chewy Jerky as my crappy old teeth can't really eat the hard stuff. Should make some soon though...love that stuff!

texas blues said:
CH I hear you on the thick jerky, however my teeth are not made of steel blades.

just cuz its a thicker cut of jerky, than a normal 1/4" thick cut, doesnt mean it has to be any harder to chew. i've ate plenty of thin cut jerky that gave your jaw a workout!

QuadShotz said:
I prefer a nice chewy Jerky as my crappy old teeth can't really eat the hard stuff.

time to get polygrip :lol: I'm J/K!

but both of you TB QS, if you make some jerky thats too hard to chew, what about throwing it in a blender & making shreaded jerky ? I've never tried this but ate plenty of it as a kid.

it was nice and chewy... but its not any more tis gone now

shreaded jerkey as in like those little tins of " jerkey chew"

oh and quad it was the cheapest slab of meat i could find... so it was like a blade or something.

Back