chinense History Lesson on Bhuts / Ghosts Please

As a newish member (long time lurker) one thing is confusing me.

I have been given a plant but I don’t think they knew what they were growing and I just want to work out which strain(?) I’m growing. I suspect it’s the original. And I’m interested in the history lesson too.
I have searched the forum and googled the internet and am more confused than ever.

2013-12-07+07.29.54.jpg

Here is what I have found:
In 2001 the Bhut Jolokia was discovered/ seeds collected in India
Bhut Jolokia means ghost chilie
Tested and found to be the hottest 06/07 Guinness Record
Then confusion reigns

So how do all the other names and types fit in what differentiates them?

Are they from crosses, mutations, selective breading?

What are the characteristics to tell them apart?

Naga Jolokia?
Dorset Naga?
Naga morrich?
Bih Jolokia?
Cornish Naga?
King Naga?
Bangladesh Naga?
I'm sure there are a heap of others.

At this point, there is no chance of telling what type of naga/jolokia that is. As with any other pepper, the other varieties could be all as you listed, mutations, crosses and chosen traits. What differentiates them could be something major, like pod size, pod shape, something easy to see. It could also be something very minute which won't be visible on the pepper until you get inside of it, placenta size. You will notice the hottest peppers in the world have the largest placentas which bleed into the wall of the pepper and contain alot of that hot stuff. People didn't know the placenta was big until they cut it up and said hey this is huge. Select the seeds and try do it again next time round.

Bhut jolokias are usually longer, crinkly pimply looking peppers. The dorset naga looks smoother, shinier, a little shorter and fatter. But it all depends there could be a million ways one pepper can grow.

I can't list the characteristics to tell them apart, I don't know enough about them. The best way is to look at pictures. Someone can ask you whats the best way to tell a reaper from a brain strain, could say the reaper has a stinger but its not actually true since not all reapers are guaranteed a stinger(this was just a random example). The point I'm trying to make is just because one bhut jolokia has pimply skin they all will.

Sarge said:
At this point, there is no chance of telling what type of naga/jolokia that is. As with any other pepper, the other varieties could be all as you listed, mutations, crosses and chosen traits. What differentiates them could be something major, like pod size, pod shape, something easy to see. It could also be something very minute which won't be visible on the pepper until you get inside of it, placenta size. You will notice the hottest peppers in the world have the largest placentas which bleed into the wall of the pepper and contain alot of that hot stuff. People didn't know the placenta was big until they cut it up and said hey this is huge. Select the seeds and try do it again next time round.

Bhut jolokias are usually longer, crinkly pimply looking peppers. The dorset naga looks smoother, shinier, a little shorter and fatter. But it all depends there could be a million ways one pepper can grow.

I can't list the characteristics to tell them apart, I don't know enough about them. The best way is to look at pictures. Someone can ask you whats the best way to tell a reaper from a brain strain, could say the reaper has a stinger but its not actually true since not all reapers are guaranteed a stinger(this was just a random example). The point I'm trying to make is just because one bhut jolokia has pimply skin they all will.
Thanks for that. I'm not to worried about id'ing my pepper as it is what it is at this point.
But what I do want to know is the "faimily tree" and a bit of history if you will. I know a lot of members here have a whole lot of knowledge and like to share.

There are differences between many of these. It can be overwhelming and convoluted though.  It seems to come down to selection in specific regions that have pulled out distinct traits and subtle variations.  It is much like the Trinidad varieties. Judy at pepperlover.com is an expert in those. The following links have some good info on the topic and a general pepper history how they spread throughout the world from South America.

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/27630-genetic-variability-and-traditional-practices-in-naga-king-chili-landraces-of-nagaland/?hl=%2Bbhut+%2Bjolokia+%2Bhistory
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/40454-bih-naga-king-morich-dorset-ghost-7-pot-7-pod/?hl=%20bhut%20%20jolokia%20%20history
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/41256-pepper-origins/?hl=%2Bbhut+%2Bjolokia+%2Bhistory#entry870033

I'm not trying to cause trouble or hijack this thread, but I think it would be more appropriate to say "Introduced to the rest of the world" or "Made known to..." instead of "Discovered" in 2001 out of respect to the people who grew it for so many generations in India before it was known to the rest of us. I realize the OP was just reiterating what they saw/read from somewhere else, so I'm not scolding anyone in particular.

Indiana_Jesse said:
I'm not trying to cause trouble or hijack this thread, but I think it would be more appropriate to say "Introduced to the rest of the world" or "Made known to..." instead of "Discovered" in 2001 out of respect to the people who grew it for so many generations in India before it was known to the rest of us. I realize the OP was just reiterating what they saw/read from somewhere else, so I'm not scolding anyone in particular.

You are so right it was introduced by the world pepper comunity.
Capsicum Select said:
There are differences between many of these. It can be overwhelming and convoluted though.  It seems to come down to selection in specific regions that have pulled out distinct traits and subtle variations.  It is much like the Trinidad varieties. Judy at pepperlover.com is an expert in those. The following links have some good info on the topic and a general pepper history how they spread throughout the world from South America.

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/27630-genetic-variability-and-traditional-practices-in-naga-king-chili-landraces-of-nagaland/?hl=%2Bbhut+%2Bjolokia+%2Bhistory
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/40454-bih-naga-king-morich-dorset-ghost-7-pot-7-pod/?hl=%20bhut%20%20jolokia%20%20history
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/41256-pepper-origins/?hl=%2Bbhut+%2Bjolokia+%2Bhistory#entry870033

great info and I am kind of building conections

for example Dorset Naga is a selection ( http://www.peppersbypost.biz/dorsetnaga/developing_naga.html )

Description of Dorset Naga (Capsicum chinense)
Dorset Naga displays the typical characteristics of Capsicum chinense: slow germination; large, soft, slightly pale green leaves; multiple flowers per node; greenish petals; annular constriction; late maturing fruit; and floral aroma of the fruit.

In addition, Dorset Naga displays its own varietal characteristics. The plants are robust, consistently growing to a height of 1.5m or more. They are bushy, producing many branches from the base.
The fruit start green, and ripen to a red colour. They are wedge-shaped, with three locules and often a nipple at the end. Although some can be quite small, the fruit are generally 4-5 cm long and 3-4 cm wide at the shoulders. Larger fruit can be up to 6 cm long. The skin is finely wrinkled, and the flesh is thin. The most significant feature of Dorset Naga, however, is its extreme pungency, which makes it a contender for the title of ‘hottest chilli in the world’.

Back