• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

HO t5 10000k

I found a coralife 30" 2 bulb HO t5 that is 10000k. They want $20 bucks for it and its 2 miles from my house. My questions are.... Can I put 6500k bulbs in them? Has anyone ever used 10000k on seedlings? If anything it would be a decent experiment for a few seedlings.

I never heard using that high of spectrum for seedlings, but they do seel other bulbs that are lower in the color specturm.

here is a link i had found with some 6400k bulbs, wich i use for my vegitative growth.

http://www.marineandreef.com/Coralife_T5_Lamps_Coralife_T5_Bulbs_s/40.htm

But i was looking at my local hydro shop's website and they even carry those 10k bulbs, I guess it suppose to be more like a tropical sunlight specturm from what i read.

But hopefully somebody with more experience can weigh in.

Yes you can replace the bulbs with ones with another spectrum, that´s no problem.
In my experience( from both growing peppers and freshwater plants) and, they are unsuitable for growing plants, though they are used for saltwater aquaristics as they are suitable for an array of marine life (Algae, Corals etc.) as they are similar to the light in the oceans of the tropics.

Best Regards,

Jan

I found a coralife 30" 2 bulb HO t5 that is 10000k. They want $20 bucks for it and its 2 miles from my house. My questions are.... Can I put 6500k bulbs in them? Has anyone ever used 10000k on seedlings? If anything it would be a decent experiment for a few seedlings.

I was at the local "Brew and Grow" this past week for some supplies. They had some beautiful lettuce growing under a 8 bulb T5, the color temp looked pretty cool, I'd guess 6500k, I use 6500k bulbs in my T8's which produce some very healthy plants. My MH lights use 7200k and they produce dense, lush, stocky, size plants. I'd recommend to stay within the natural light spectrum for seedling growth.....if not done yet check "Omri's" thread on lighting...

Greg

That is a strange light size, but yes you can put some daylight spectrum lights in there. Check out http://www.marineandreef.com/Coralife_30_inch_6_700K_18_Watt_T_5_Lamp_p/res58591.htm for some 6700K bulbs which lean slighter to the blue more than 6500K but are still adequate. 10000K is most likely an actinic bulb and is really for pure PAR radiation in the UV spectrum and far blue for coral growth. Go with 6500K or 6700K T5 for your seeds.

Source:

I am a clerk at Flora Hydroponics in Atlanta, Ga for my day job. :)

I was tempted to try a 10000K bulb but I would not use it on seedlings and keep it high above the plants for a while and slowly adjust down.....let me know how it works....

Back