• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding holy Cross pollination Batman

I'm out there cleaning off my plants for the last harvest. These peppers all came off an orange habanero plant that was growing next to a red ghost. I've heard of this before but it's obvious that several of these habaneros have ghosts like characteristics. Does this mean they are more ghosts than habanero or that they're going to have the heat and flavor of the plant they are from but they're going to have a visual appearance of the plant they were next to? or does this mean I now have some sort of hybrid and I should harvest these seeds? I was just extremely shocked to find this. and there's more in the bowl outside I just picked some of the most obvious

peppers.jpg

cmwr said:
I'm out there cleaning off my plants for the last harvest. These peppers all came off an orange habanero plant that was growing next to a red ghost. I've heard of this before but it's obvious that several of these habaneros have ghosts like characteristics. Does this mean they are more ghosts than habanero or that they're going to have the heat and flavor of the plant they are from but they're going to have a visual appearance of the plant they were next to? or does this mean I now have some sort of hybrid and I should harvest these seeds? I was just extremely shocked to find this. and there's more in the bowl outside I just picked some of the most obvious

If I had a buck for every time I've read this I could retire!

_THE FRUIT ON THE PLANT IN YOUR GARDEN WAS NOT INFLUENCED BY OTHER  PLANTS IN YOUR GARDEN THIS YEAR!

Repeat after me - The genetics of this years crop came from the seed from last years crop!

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:

If I had a buck for every time I've read this I could retire!

_THE FRUIT ON THE PLANT IN YOUR GARDEN WAS NOT INFLUENCED BY OTHER  PLANTS IN YOUR GARDEN THIS YEAR!

Repeat after me - The genetics of this years crop came from the seed from last years crop!
Yes sir! I really didn't know sorry. Someone else had mentioned this to me before so I wasn't sure why these looked this way.

Walchit said:
A guy I know swears that his dad had spicy tomatoes because they were growing next to a habanero plant.
I knew a woman in college who claimed she knew someone who had the same thing happen.
Funny how the hot tomato story is never first hand and nobody has any to share.

But if someone cut open a Capsicum fruit and then cut a tomato there could easily be some capsaicin transfer that would make the tomato mildly spicy.

So called ghost peppers have a number of genes in common with habanero and it isn't uncommon that a side by side comparison reveals a few similarities.

Back