• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

cloning Home made Cloner

Hey all just got this cloner up and running and was wondering if it should run constantly or say for 15mins out of every hour??

100_0858.jpg

You can't see it in these pics but on the back both tubs have a tap with 1/4" hose on it for draining, the hose goes from the verandah down to the chillies below so they get all the left over nutes come change time.

I used half inch irrigation hose from Bunnings for the pump to pipe and transfer holes, flexible black tubing would be a LOT easier to use but it's also a hell of a lot more expensive. There are 2 transfer hoses on the bottom (as low as you can get them) so the fluids remain as close as possible between the two. This is not essential if you want to build 2 seperate systems, although for 2 seperate systems you'd need 2 pumps (you could use 2 smaller pumps). the pump I'm using is 1000 l/hr you could go up to 1500 l/hr but it's not required. For the transfer hoses I used 4 x threaded, barbed hose attatchments (one for each end of the hose to screw into the tubs. All of the white tube is just 1/2" PVC pipe bought from bunnings, You'll need 8 x right angle bends and 2 x "T" pieces. You won't need to glue them together as they are a VERY tight fit and not a lot pressure goes through them. The legs are just left over pipe glued on with a bit of super glue (the spray pipes were a tight fit but I put them in just in case, but if you use those "RUBBERMAID" tubs they have a lip in them which is perfect for sitting the sprays on, but also more expensive I bought mine from a REAL cheap shop. Oh yeah and the sprays are simply 1.5mm holes drilled into the pipe I did them at a VERY rough inch and a half apart you could really afford to space them a bit more and add holes later IF REQUIRED. Those black spots on the pipes are where I closed a few up but then I ended up drilling them back out. make sure you wash out all of you're pipes before you use this system as the debris from cutting and drilling will only block it up. And make sure you have a tube of sylastic handy in case of leaks!
100_0844.jpg

To cut all my holes I used a hot knife but any sharp knife will do it. Just be careful of you're fingers!! I cut 8 holes per lid but once the plants get a bit bigger it may get a bit cramped so I'd only go six next time. Mark you're hole with the BOTTOM of you're plants basket, size is up to you. Then I just cut about 3-4mm OUTSIDE the circle but do the first one bit by bit so you don't cut it too big once I had the size right I use that hole to mark out a hole in the other lid then cut that out and used it as a template for the rest of the holes.
100_0843.jpg

Even check out this site, this is where I got the Hydro bug from there are HEAPS of different ways to do Hydro some VERY cheap ways too, but IMO stay AWAY from Styrofoam

As a side note if you hook the pipe work up top the pump and the 2 systems are not reasonably close to level, the higher of the 2 will not work nearly as well as the lower one (this is why I blocked a few holes :banghead: )

Back