• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

pests Homemade Bug Sprays

With the growing season, in the northern latitudes, soon to be upon us, I've already noticed a few threads with grower's concerns about common plant pests and how to control them.

I'd like to share a couple of solutions that can be made at home and are effective and safe to use.

PEST SOLUTION #1

1 litre water
2-3 cc Neem oil
few drops of Eucalyptus oil (for red-spider mite) essential oil vapor link
1 tbsp light mineral oil
5-6 drops dishwater detergent

Shake vigorously to suspend oils. Keep in fridge to keep fresh. Must be room temperature to keep Neem oil liquid. For scale use double the Neem concentration.

PEST SOLUTION #2

Here's a remedy for aphids and whitefly that works.

20 mL 35% hydrogen peroxide
30 mL Listerine mouth wash (Use the yellow colored mouth washes. The green ones are not as effective)
2 mL dish soap
1 Liter of water.
Mix these ingredients up and put them in a sprayer. Shake the sprayer so that the mixture is just slightly frothy. When sprayed on leaves it immobilizes these critters and ensures that their last little breath will be a fresh one. ;)

dvg

I have heard of a listerine spray before, I have also heard of it as a spray for your skin to repel mosquitoes.

There is only one problem I could see with the mosquito spray here in Minnesota. Our state bird is the mosquito and they are the size of pterodactyl's. That better be some powerful spray... :rofl:

There is only one problem I could see with the mosquito spray here in Minnesota. Our state bird is the mosquito and they are the size of pterodactyl's. That better be some powerful spray... :rofl:
This ^ :D

Thanks for the recipes! Whiteflies are loving me (or hating me?) this season. *puts on lab coat*

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1371748/Stink-bug-epidemic-spreads-33-U-S-states-report-smelly-pests.html

Anything for the stink bug war?

Another good mix is 1 Head of garlic
1 hand full of fresh ginger
1 onion white or yellow
7 1/2 ml of neem
1 tsp Ivory soap
Put all into blender: make mush let set for a week, pour off liquid put in sprayer and go to town

Back