food Homemade Horseradish

salsalady

eXtreme Business
We have a patch of horseradish in the yard that was planted before we bought the house 11 years ago, so we have no idea how old this stuff is, but it just keeps growing. Every so often we'll dig some up, usually to go with a prime rib. Here's how I make Homemade Horseradish.

This chunk is about 16" long and was only a small part of one root.
horserad1.jpg

rinsed and peeled
horserad2.jpg

The horseradish seemed to want to darken when left out in the air, so I kept it in water with a splash of vinegar. Cross-slice as thin as possible-
horserad3.jpg

slices in vinegar water on the left and pureed root in the food processor. I added a couple tablespoons of 1:1 vinegar/water to the processor, just enough to keep the stuff moving in the bowl. It looks yellow/dark in this picture, but that's just the lighting. I chose this picture because you can see the texture better than the other one with a flash.
horserad4.jpg

Added a dollop of mayonnaise
horserad5.jpg

And here's an outside picture to see the wonderful white color-
horserdsh003.jpg

It's not as hot as the store-bought stuff, but the fresh flavor is awesome! Just have to use a little more. I don't know if it makes any difference to the heat level if you use young growth or old growth. The chunk we had had some punky area that had to be trimmed out to get to the good stuff. I think it was an older root.

I hope if anyone has occasion to come across some fresh horseradish root, hopefully this'll give you the confidence to give it a go! The fresh taste alone is worth it!

Looks fantastic SL- my gramps grew fields of horseradish, learned to love it at an early age! Don't know the finer points of growin it myself... but looks good to me. And if it tastes good- well... WIN!

Yumm I wish I could have a taste :) I love horseradish but have never seen it for sale fresh, if its easy to grow I might have to give it a try.

It's very easy to grow once it's established. Our plant just keep growing, year after year, and they are in a spot that doesn't get watered for a good portion of the summer. They seem pretty hardy. And they obviously handle the hot summer/cold winter. No ferts or anything. They are basically ignored and abused, but continue to grow just fine! My kind of plants!

I gave away a few small cut one time but they died. I think they were too small.

TB- do you have some in the yard or get it at a store?

It's not as hot as the store-bought stuff, but the fresh flavor is awesome!

Sorry to dredge up an old post.

I'm pretty sure that, last year, when I searched t'interweb, I read "the longer you leave it between slicing/grating root and slapping in vinegar the hotter the taste!" ... unfortunately I forgot to bookmark the page and the best I can find, this year, suggests that it's the "shorter the time between slicing/grating" :-S ... anyway, may be worth playing with timings?

About as much use as a chocolate fireguard I know, sorry

¥

Correct add vinegar immediately to contain the heat and grate in a closed container. The best way it to grate in a food processor along with the vinegar this contains the heat immediately. Fine grating helps too.

And they obviously handle the hot summer/cold winter

Mine need more shade in the hot dessert climate. They dry out fast for a broad leaf plant would. Similar to the rhubarb.

agreed, vinegar is your friend with keeping the color and bite. Beware of the older roots since they tend to be woody tasting.

Back