food Honey Glaze Dry Mix + pepper powder for a rib rub?

So, my wife has been begging me for months to organize the spice pantry. It had gotten pretty ridiculous. This morning I made the mistake of saying "I'm bored" and she jumped on the opportunity. Now the spice cabinet is clean and organized.

In doing the dirty deed I found a large gold packet of dry honey glaze mix for a ham. I read the ingredients and it's mostly sugar, brown sugar, dried honey, "spices" and some Yellow7.

Do you think I could use this as a base for a dry rib rub and then add my home-made thai dragon chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, dried thyme & oregano, and mustard powder. I mean, I would normally add brown sugar anyway. I'm thinking the dried honey mix could make for a fantastic sweet & spicy rib rub.

Thoughts? Anyone tried using the dry honey glaze mix for something other than their Easter ham?

Very true. I just don't see how it could go wrong. Maybe I'll make a big batch of rib rub and give some away for Christmas.

Some powdered glazes use ground "star anise" as well as "ground cloves" for part of their spice background. That can be overpowering. My suggestion is to try a dab of it mixed with a few drops of water. You'll know if add or impart your recipe. Otherwise, if it works for you why discard it. Just add it with your list of ingredients.

Greg

Yeah... I haven't opened the bag yet. I thought about the possibility of cloves & anise. If that's the case I'll just make a bigger batch to dilute it. I've got enough pepper powder (dragon thai and African birdseye) to make it work.

OK... Here's what I came up with...

1 cup of dry honey glaze (granulated brown sugar & dried honey flakes and I could tell it had some cloves and maybe some anise, but it's not overpowering)
2 teaspoons of thai dragon chili powder
4 teaspoons of ground peppercorns & dried orange peel (ie, orange pepper)
1/2 teaspoon of oregano
1/2 teaspoon of garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon of ground coriander seed

I just rubbed a bunch of it into two thick pork steaks and put them in the fridge to set for an hour and I've got some cherry wood chips soaking. I'll report back in a few hours!

It turned out OK but not great. It wasn't nearly hot enough. I'll have to add a LOT more pepper powder next time. It was sweet, but I didn't think it was a very well-rounded taste. Sweet, but not savory. Still, it's hard to beat pork steaks smoked with cherry wood and the rub certainly didn't ruin the meal. It just wasn't as great as I thought it would be.

Thanks for posting. That's a great idea to try and use something in the cupboard. Pork steaks and cherry wood are a good combo. Cooking is an ongoing experiment.

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again....

So, my dry honey glaze mixture didn't make a good rib rub but it turns out it makes a GREAT brine for poultry. I submerged two rock hens in 4 cups of water with 1/2 cup of salt and 1/2 cup of my dry honey mixture and let it sit in the fridge for about 3 hours. Then I took them out, patted them dry and rubbed them down with some olive oil and spices (mesquite on one and Emeril's chicken seasoning on the other). I put them opposite the coals and added a mixture of pecan, cherry and mesquite wood chips. I let it puff smoke for an hour at about 400. They turned out FANTASTIC.

6566325973_d1186d2581.jpg

6566340861_94930b5bed.jpg

And the best part is, I've still got some of the honey rub left and I've got a Christmas ham in the fridge so I'll have another packet of dry mix to play with. Now that I know what I'm doing with it (ie, brine) I'll tinker with the recipe a bit.

Merry Christmas!!!

Back