• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Hontonkas???

Ok, random question. Has anyone heard of Hontonka peppers? There is a local grocery that sells them. I've talked to the manager and he says there Hontonkas, but does not have the box they came in. I think they're mislabeled Santankas, but that's just a guess. Any thoughts?

A netscape search found nothing either.

That doesn't mean much, when we started with Peppermaster, "goat pepper" couldn't be found on the net either.

Where did he get the peppers?

T

It's an Asian market so there is a bit of a language barrier, but I think he has more coming in on Friday and he is going to save me the box. Either that or I married his family goat, we'll see. :D

Darlo, That's exactly them. I thought they where Santankas I just didn't know of the other names. They are real nice, good medium heat (not an 8-9 out of 10 though), great flavor, very versital. Anyone have good goat recipes? :lol:

ChefEx said:
Darlo, That's exactly them. I thought they where Santankas I just didn't know of the other names. They are real nice, good medium heat (not an 8-9 out of 10 though), great flavor, very versital. Anyone have good goat recipes? :lol:

Our Jerk Curry sauce is the best thing in the world for marinating goat.

What that has to do with the honky tonk, honky tonk, pretty mama, I'll never know.

T

It's a Japanese cuisine thing to name food from the region they come from. you'll see those as Japonese Hontaka Type sometimes. Thick skinned little buggers that don't puree well, best used whole in sauces and soups IMHO.

darthcarl said:
It's a Japanese cuisine thing to name food from the region they come from. you'll see those as Japonese Hontaka Type sometimes. Thick skinned little buggers that don't puree well, best used whole in sauces and soups IMHO.

I think that's actually a worldwide thing. Habanero: from Havana, etc.

Curious... how hot are these Hontakas??? appr. Scovie is a fine number.

T

Anglefire has the Japones at 15,000-30,000. I've found a few sauce recipes for them, mostly ground with vinegar, salt, sugar, aromatics and applied to grilled meats.

Anglefire also had a pepper called Santake at around 200,000-300,000. Is this pepper diiferent from a Santaka???

I think this is a question to put back to Angelfire. If Japones, Santankas, and Hontakas are all the same pepper and rate around the same in Scovilles, I become suspicious of a pepper called a santake, that's rated 200,000+. See what I'm saying.

Back