• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

greenhouse Hoop-house Greenhouse

Almost done with my hoop-house greenhouse, I still need to finish the ends (waiting on my exhaust fan and vents to get here). Going to try to grow peppers and tomatoes in bottom wicking self watering beds. Each bed will have a float hooked up to a water line so the water always stays at a certain level. I will use 5 gallon buckets with holes, lined with grow pots I made from landscape fabric. That way I get the air pruning effect of the grow bags along with the rigidity of the bucket. Hopefully the greenhouse will extend my season, even might be able to go all year round.

10462624_10202380338205100_7333279025912854239_n.jpg

10365888_10202380338325103_4269750017338050489_n.jpg

10441473_10202380338885117_5243350812492326217_n.jpg

Right on dude :)

I'm actually building something quite similar right now. First time doing so. Also looking to hopefully extend the season. At the very least I want to successfully overwinter. I am in a 9b zone so I don't need too much. Mostly worried about aphids and shit :( I also have mine in 5 gallons. Looking forward to seeing your results!

What types you growing?

Looks good, I also was thinking of building something like this for overwintering myself. Been checking out all sorts of videos on how to build them!

I used to put those roofs on full greenhouses.Is that 6mil plastic? Tough stuff,you can walk on the roofs to patch holes with a roll of patching tape.Looks good.

Looks real good Dawg! For reference, what are your length-width dimensions? I am going to build one in the Fall and that is exactly the picture I had in my head.

Nice job man!

It's 12x12ft, the 4 baseboards are 2x6x12 ...each hoops is two 10ft 6in top rails from a chain-link fence, bent and attached together...they are 1 5/8 inch diameter. I attached them to the ground post , which are regular fence post cut down to 30 inches and pounded 2 ft into the ground. At the center top the hoops are about 7ft tall (you can make them taller if you make your ground post longer). The 2 beds I have in there now are an 11x2 in the back and a 7x3 in the middle...I plan to put 2 more 9x2 beds in there one on each side. I should be able to get about 60-70 or so 5 gallon buckets with plants in there. I'll be making mix and filling buckets this weekend. The film is 6mil Sun Selector UVA Clear Greenhouse Film, 90% light transmission and 20% light diffusion.

To bend the hoops I used a hoopbender http://www.hoopbenders.net/dyseriesbenders6479.html 

Right now I have around 60 plants I started from seedlings plus some Beefsteak tomatoes. I need to hurry and get them out there, they have outgrown my indoor setup.

These are the different varieties I have:
  • Trinidad Scorpion CARDI
  • Trinidad Douglah
  • Trinidad Scorpion Original
  • Trinidad Scorpion Yellow
  • Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Yellow
  • Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon
  • Bhut Jolokia Peach
  • Bhut Jolokia White
  • Bhut Jolokia Orange
  • Bhut Jolokia Brown
  • Bhut Jolokia Red
  • Bhut jolokia Yellow
  • Bih Jolokia
  • Brown Moruga
  • Moruga Scorpion Red
  • 7 Pod White
  • 7 Pod Johna
  • 7 Pod Brain Strain
  • Ghost Peppers

Looks good Dawg! How much did it run you for the materials to make that mini hoophouse? So far, I've been using black plastic mulch and low row covers during the early season to get started, and planting directly in the ground.  Good luck, and keep us posted on how it does for you.

This is about what I'm into it for...this includes pretty much everything from top to bottom film, frame, baseboards, beds and ground covering. The things in BOLD are what I ordered online, everything else I got from Lowes/Home depot. So it was about $650 plus another $100 with tax/shipping added.... plus I had to get stuff like extra screws and staples maybe another $20. Roughly about $850. Of course if you didn't want to do beds and just grow in the ground or if you already have containers that you are going to use then you could chop like $300 off that cause you wouldn't need the wood for the beds or the ground covering. So for just the base, frame and film it would be $300-400, which for a 12x12 greenhouse, I wasn't able to find a kit anywhere near that price. And if I wanted to make it bigger I could just get another hoop and ground poles for $30 and add 4 feet on the back if I want.  I plan to add some extra stuff to it like thermostat controlled exhaust fan and vents which will be another $300....that would bring me up to around $1000 total. Which still is about half of the price of any greenhouse kit this size with all of those features. 

·         1 5/8 post for 30 in stakes - $28.92
·         1 3/8 top rail for hoops/purlins   - $115.17
·         1-3/8 in. x 6 in. Top Fence Sleeve - $7.68
·         2x4x10 - $39.76
·         4x8 post - $23.91
·         2x4x12 foundation/beds - $12.34
·         2x6x12 baseboards -  $35.88
·         4x8 plywood - $ 41.04
·         Ground cover weed blocker 26 x10 -$21.99
·         6 mil Thermal Greenhouse Film 24x30 - $79.20
·         Outdoor Carpet 16 sqft -  $59.04
·         pond liner 13 x 20 - $99.99
·         Ground post driver - $29.95
·         Purlin connector - $15.30
·         Wiggle Wire - $19.80
·         Wiggle wire channel  - $53.70

Good on ya for keeping such good records and being willing to share Dawg! I'll bet there's lots of folks here that'll find this really useful. Drive on! :dance:

Thanks for the breakdown man, very much appreciated! Did you get the greenhouse film from agriculturesolutions.com? When I entered 24x30 for the 6 mil UVA Clear Greenhouse Film it came to $55.00 without shipping?

DawgNutts said:
Right now I have around 60 plants I started from seedlings plus some Beefsteak tomatoes. I need to hurry and get them out there, they have outgrown my indoor setup.

Sweet stuff. What does your indoor growing room look like? Just out of curiousity.

outlaw said:
Thanks for the breakdown man, very much appreciated! Did you get the greenhouse film from agriculturesolutions.com? When I entered 24x30 for the 6 mil UVA Clear Greenhouse Film it came to $55.00 without shipping?
Outlaw...Select your width 24 ft and then put in your length 30 ft, then you still have to do the math and put in the proper square footage in the box (it doesn't do it for you). I did the same thing at first wondering why my cost never changed  ;) .
So it would be 24 x 30= 720...@ $0.11 a sqft. (720 x 0.11) it comes out to $79.20

plaisir8 said:

Sweet stuff. What does your indoor growing room look like? Just out of curiousity.

My indoor grow is ghetto simple but it works for me. I built a 2ftx2ft - platform out of PVC pipe, on the bottom I have 2 - 10x20 trays each sitting on a 10 x 20 heat mat. I start my seeds in 5oz plastic cups w/holes drilled in the bottom. I use Jiffy pellets a growing medium. When they sprout their first true leaves I move them to the top trays under the 2ft 4-bulb T5 light (it’s on a timer on at 7am off at 9pm). I can get 32 cups into each tray so I have about 60 plants at the end which is plenty for me, hell that might even be too many. Most of the cups have 2 seeds in them so I actually have 100+ plant if I choose to split each one. I use bottom wicking watering, so I just pour a quart of water into each tray every few days. Then every other week I spray the top plants with Fish Emulsion water. I will move them to Solo cups and put them in the greenhouse to harden off, then 5 gallon buckets. (I may do 1 gallon first and then 5). I have each cup numbered so I know what seed I planted in it.

1512058_10202400186621298_5586262574506173978_o.jpg

I put the post on the corners because when it was in the house I had a net around it to keep the cat out...it's in the garage on a table now.

10380632_10202400186581297_2750206672779262377_o.jpg

DawgNutts said:
Outlaw...Select your width 24 ft and then put in your length 30 ft, then you still have to do the math and put in the proper square footage in the box (it doesn't do it for you). I did the same thing at first wondering why my cost never changed  ;) .
So it would be 24 x 30= 720...@ $0.11 a sqft. (720 x 0.11) it comes out to $79.20
Haha thanks man, I couldn't figure out what was going on.

Looks great man. I am planning on building one before this winter, I already have all the pvc, just need that plastic. Hoping I wont need the vents, since I'm in florida I'm thinking I can leave it open 19/20 days and only have to close it up on the 3-4 days a year it gets close to freezing.

Back