• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Hoophouse questions and concerns

This will be the second year that I'm using a temporary hoophouse over of our 16' x 24' raised beds. After closing things up the other day, the remote thermometer sensor was showing 125 F in the middle of the day. Obviously, that is too hot to put seedlings in without giving them a good cooking. Now that I've been able to control the temperature a little bit, what do you think the upper threshold for pepper seedlings would be?

I have been dealing with the same issues in my greenhouse with the higher than normal temperature this year. I set my thermostat to start venting at 85F but last week, even while venting I have been seeing 95-100F steadily through through the day when it is 80F outside. I haven't lost a single pepper plants but I have lost quite a few vegetable starts, brassicas and lettuce mostly. The pepper seedlings showed some signs of stress so I would say 95-100 would be as high as you would safely want to go.

This may sound silly but will humidity play a role in how high of a temperature you can safely grow your seedlings?

Back