• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Hopefully Trinidad scorpion?

Howdy all.  Sorry to throw down another pepper ID among the hundreds that are already here.. But I'm hoping somebody could tell me what this fella is?   It was an ebay purchase listed as a Trinidad scorpion plant, but It doesn't seem to particularly resemble one.  At least not to me.   This is up in Wisconsin, and these have taken about 4 weeks to ripen to this point.  

jqjmAMX.jpg

Better pics of the plant and pepper if needed:

http://imgur.com/nXko38H

http://imgur.com/t5NY21C

It does look a bit moruga scorpion / brain strain like (just a wee bit mind you) but trinidad scorpion is a very large gene pool.  As one example, the Butch T represents one little section of that pool.  Also, I am seeing maybe 3 gallons of medium in a five gallon bucket by a window.  Not only can growing conditions dramatically effect pod shape, but I am willing to bet these are the first pods the plant has provided.  First pods can be odd looking.  So I am going with give it more time.

How many plants did you get and do they all throw the same shaped pods?

Thank you gentlemen for the response. 

Ajdrew - You are indeed correct in that this is the first time it's given fruit.  This is the only plant I picked up as space is unfortunately a premium in the apartment.  Hopefully a yard next year, we'll see.    As for increasing the medium, are you suggesting a larger container, or will the 5g bucket suffice if filled?

And Joogie, I'll see about getting those buggers under control.  It'd be nice to have shiny green leaves again.   The only reason it got them was me putting the plant outside for two days in hopes of the flowers getting pollinated.   Luckily it worked, but sadly it appears hitchhikers were brought in. 

Sauerkraut said:
Thank you gentlemen for the response. 

Ajdrew - You are indeed correct in that this is the first time it's given fruit.  This is the only plant I picked up as space is unfortunately a premium in the apartment.  Hopefully a yard next year, we'll see.    As for increasing the medium, are you suggesting a larger container, or will the 5g bucket suffice if filled?

And Joogie, I'll see about getting those buggers under control.  It'd be nice to have shiny green leaves again.   The only reason it got them was me putting the plant outside for two days in hopes of the flowers getting pollinated.   Luckily it worked, but sadly it appears hitchhikers were brought in.
Yeah lil bastages will take a tool on a plant there are other methods of indoor pollination but I'll leave that to ajdrew as he know more about these awesome plants I personally finger blast every flower I can see on a single plant wash up and move to the next had 32 pods on a 18" tall plant so that's my indoor method heard something about gluing flower buds shut you wound up in the perfect place to learn peppers.

Joogiebop, damn fine diagnosing.  I didnt even notice the damn things. 

Sauerkraught, now that you ask I am not sure what I would do.  Thinking adding medium would probably just cause the stalk to rot, but replanting once the plant is that big can cause problems.  Probably just leave it as it is.  I have some things in 3 gallon containers, they don't grow nearly as well but they do grow.

Gotcha. Just pulled off the few peppers it did give... and bloody heck were they a wild ride.  I've been reading up on winterizing it, which to the best of my knowledge should remove the aphids?  And as long as the plant is in "winter mode", would that be the best time if any to re-pot it?

THanks!

I am not very good at over wintering, knowing where to trim and so on.  I am sure someone else could give much better advice.  I have had some luck, but most of it has been poor.

Back