• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

annuum Hot C.annuum varieties

Can anyone tell me what types of C.annuum are regarded as the hottest?

I`ve grown the Indian PC-1, Zimbabwe bird, Thai bird and Chiletepin, among others that weren`t nearly as hot. This year I`m trying an annuum variety a friend brought back from India (maybe PC-1, maybe not) and Burmese birds from Puckerbutt.

Suggestions???

Goats Weed, but it wont be as hot as the Birds Eye. Golden cayenne
are supposed to be hotter than all other Cayennes that I know of.

goatsweed will burn your face off. tepin has that initial burn but fizzes out real quick. hammerfall sent me a variety called "kitchen pepper" that he said is the hottest annuum, i am growing it now to see what it produces.

i have tepin,pequin, cayenne, superchilli and thai but so far to date nothing has been able to challenge the goatsweed - that causes me to sweat and hold my temples in hope my head doesn't explode. i have made my goatsweed my house pepper and keep several plants going all the time. my original seeds came from a friend who brought them back from vietnam from his original family plant. surprisingly, it does not get hotter with dehydrating but when added raw to soaps, stews or tomato sauce, amplifies its effect.

^^agreed goat weed^^ peppers are the hottest annums i have had so far not big on the taste of em raw much better dryed or to cook with em i say they are hotter than Thai chilis

Thanks Megahot. I`ve grown red and yellow cayennes and I had one plant out of dozens that was a red one and it was very hot. I overwintered it for 3 years and the third year it was extremely hot. At least store Habanero hot, but a very different type of heat that lasted and lasted.

Ok, I need to find some goatsweed seeds then. Thanks guys :)

pepperlover sells them as does tradewindsfruit. i would send you some but the cost of shipping out of pocket is more than pepperlover price.

good luck, there is a goatsweed variation called black cobra, i haven't tried them, some say they are the same pepper.

but like the 'hog says they are very pungent and not the best of flavour, so don't expect a sweet citrus taste from the raw pepper. they are raw, hot and extreme cayenne. when i use to walk my girls to school and walk to pick them up, on the -4F days i would pop a tiny piece of goatsweed and sweat on my walk to the school and still be toasty on the walk back.

just to compare, i have tossed several habs into a soup and to get the same effect 2 goatsweed delivers the same heat, for whatever reason cooking with them amplifies their heat level. one of the reasons i like to grow kung pao pepper as goatsweed can kill a stirfry, kungpoa can exemplify a dish.

good luck on your find.

Agree, Goats Weed is a pretty hot Annuum. The first time I had one I was surprised by the heat. Better dried, I think. Big producer too. The 1st pick was about 150 pods. It kept going for months after that. Too bad some one took the plant. Here it was it looked like.

test121001_zpsede71f13.jpg

test130161_zps5b6ff234.jpg

Though these are usually called Goats weed,when grown side by side they are different from each other in plant looks,size and pod shape etc.
Some are tall multi stemed plants,others are bushes and others tree like.
Pods can be very different in size , shape and heat too.
Some are a lot more or less fuzzy than the others too.
Some plants have only upturned or only pendant pods while another variety will go from upturned to pendant.
I think my Gray Fuzzy collection included about a dozen different plants that were from all over the world.
Whether these plants started out from one place and became landrace varieties,I don't know.
I do think the Vietnamese version and the Goats weed are hotter than the others.
Biggest pods were from the Chile Verde(might have been called Black Chile Verde from Mexico).Pods were thick fleshed and 4 inches long.Not as hot as other versions...
Goats weed were small pods,thin flesh on a tree like bush.
I was into Gray Fuzzy,Green to black podded plants for a while.

Goat weed - Venezuela
Chile Verde - Mexico
Black Cobra - Mexico
Chile Negro De Arbol - Mexico
Veitnamese Black Dragon
Black Thai
Chinese Black something(can't remember)

Probably a few more I can't think of right now...

I probably/do have seeds for all of the above +, if someone wants to grow them all side by side-for the right trade.
I doubt anyone has the number of different gray fuzzies that I have...

any one who wants to send me [background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Prik Ki Nu - the hot version, i will send back vietnamese goatsweed. it is still early and annuums grow fast,especially with the love juice i make. my out of cost pocket to send to the US is $3.50.[/background]

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]i have lots of tepins and yes, at first pop they are hot but then loose the heat. put goatsweed into a soup/stew and there is no heat lose, dem babies just keep getting hotter. thus why i grow superchili ,kungpoa, kashmiri, dundicut and guntar, so i can add them to foods without being overwhelmed.[/background]

Goats weed is definitely way up there. I have a plant starting up it's 3rd season now. Very prolific and the taste is decent too. Last year we grew a few plants from some assorted peppers hand carried back from Vietnam. One of those plants was much hotter than the goats weed, and better flavor too. Too bad it didn't survive the winter. Plant was not hairy, had upright pods, about the same size as the goat, but with a very pointy tip.

Tepins are all over the map. I have had some I considered only medium hot and others that were real scorchers. The hottest I ever had were found growing wild on a ranch in far southwest Texas. I put 3 of those pea size peppers in a big bowl of stew and it was so hot it made my head sweat.

Anyone know a source for Prik Ki Nu? Sounds like something I need to try.

Goats weed is hot but I hate the taste. I end up grinding them and adding to my cayennes for a decent tasting powder with lots more heat.

Back