legal Hot Food Eating Contest Legal Issues

I am planning to hold a contest here at college and I plan on making super hot salsa, but since I am making all of it... I do not want to be liable if someone gets more than they can handle. Is there a template for a waiver or disclaimer that anyone knows of? I want to take extra precautions to prevent myself from getting sued if someone has to get their stomach pumped. It is unlikely, but I would still rather not take the risk. I am also curious if anyone knows whether the college will have a department that can help me with a waiver or disclaimer. Thank you,

GrowTheHeat

I was more worried about wording, but I see your point texas blues. I will type a disclaimer up and share it to see if I have covered all the bases. Thanks for the input,

GrowTheHeat

If the contest is held in a university building, part of a university event, any component of the event is prepared by or in a university facility......you can see where I'm going with this.....the university should oversee the event and decide what is safe.

If it's a fraternity initiation.....:shrug:.....  don't be irresponsible, don't trick people, ???...if you don't feel comfortable accepting the responsibility for educating participants that they are Dumbasses for even attempting the Challenge and liability for allowing said Dumbasses to participate.....maybe not do the challenge. 

GrowTheHeat said:
Thank you Joyners. I now have what I need.
To play devil's advocate for a moment...

If someone gets hurt or dies in your contest, you might still get sued. Then the disclaimer is handy, but it's still shit to deal with.

Hopefully no one gets hurt of dies, but when amature hour strikes you never know what might happen.

That all said, please video the shenanigans. Thanks. :cheers:

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce said:
To play devil's advocate for a moment...

If someone gets hurt or dies in your contest, you might still get sued. Then the disclaimer is handy, but it's still shit to deal with.

Hopefully no one gets hurt of dies, but when amature hour strikes you never know what might happen.

That all said, please video the shenanigans. Thanks. :cheers:
At the end of the day no matter what you have in place people can attempt to sue. Especially with today's frivolous lawsuit ambulance chasing mofos. 

Back