Hot french fries

Have you guys ever tried using chilies, chili powder, or something like that while frying them? So they'd come out neat and hot ? I'm wondering wether the high temperatures of the burning oil will get the spiciness out of the chilies.
I've tried using chili powder and hot sauces, after frying them, they're all great, but I want something new, and hotter, if possible...
Well, I suppose you could sprinkle pharmaceutic capsaicin over 'em if you want 'em hot, but then again, you might die, so I want a good alternative :)

I ate a bunch of deep fried hab poppers this weekend. On Friday night I ate a bunch and woke up still dorphin. Later 2 billion nano hookers with spiked heels were doing the pachuco hop in my lower intestine. I don't know if I would have wanted to make them hotter than they were. What peppers are you eating that they aren't hot enough as is?

Cheers, TB.

Ooops my bad. I read the post wrong. Kooky me. Uhm..for the fries, just dust them with whatever dried chile powder you like and then fry them up. For hot sauce, put the fries in a bowl and toss with hot sauce. Let them soak up the sauce for a while, refreeze so the chill glue's the sauce on and then fry. Works great.

Cheers, TB.

Well, I've eaten fries soaked in sauce, didn't really like 'em.
Doesn't the chilli wear off when you fry it, at all?
Also, would small pieces of whole chilli work? Cuz that's 20 times hotter than the powder.

To use whole chile's you'd have to mince them up super fine and then have some kind of medium to get them to stick. You might try just using a hotter powder like a naga or some similiar.

Cheers, TB.

DremoraLord said:
Also, would small pieces of whole chilli work? Cuz that's 20 times hotter than the powder.

Take your small pepper peices and put them in a coffee grinder to make powder. There shouldn't be any difference between the heat in small peices and powder if they are from the same chile and both dried the same. If you're talking about fresh chiles, I don't think that would work well.

Use a super hot seasoning or spice, that's all. Bhut jolokia powder.

POTAWIE said:
Or if you like vinegar with your fries, try a spicy vinegar

Potawie, I've never cared for the chips and vinegar 'thang but maybe it's because I've never had a quality vinegar that goes well with them. Which one's do you use and recommend? I'm guessing some label of malt vinegar?

Cheers, TB.

Generally I'm not a fan of vinegar on fries but I used to buy great "chips" from an english fish and chip joint, and they had a malt vinegar that I really liked, but it could've used some heat.

I'd use super hot powder, but there's NONE to be found here...
I found some cayenne powder today ... and besides the fact that they translated some things wrong, it said on the back that cayenne is the hottest pepper in the world, so you can figure how much they know about that....
Anyway, it's still nowhere near as hot as I'd like it to be, but I'll give it a try.

If you can't find anything hot locally then I suggest you grow your own hot peppers or order some pods, powders, or sauces online.

I have had this on fries, and it rocks. Not real spicy, though.

If you can get a hold of some duck fat fry them in that. You will never have them any other way afterward!

what texas blues said is the best way: for a slightly faster version:

Fry until 1/2 done. throw into a bowl with vingar until fully soaked, throw back into the fryer to finish, when done coat in the hottest chili powder you can find toss in bowl, and eat

p.s.(instead of vinegar you could use a hot sauce with a HIGH vinegar content as well)

LGHT said:
If you can get a hold of some duck fat fry them in that. You will never have them any other way afterward!

Duck fat is KING!! I once fried some poppers and cheese sticks in duck fat. 'Lawd have mercy! Not many cholesterol bombs bigger than that.

Cheers, TB.

If ya can get store-bought dry pods (usually the asian kind) to grind up or can dehydrate fresh habs or the like from the store..then ya got fun stuff.

Takes a lot of fresh habs to make a bottle of powder, but it's totally worth it.

Back