misc Hot packing in plastic.

BenVanned

Banned
Someone has recently suggested to me that I make sample bottles. I found a good deal on the plastic single serving liquor bottles. My question is would I be able to hot pack in those without deforming the bottle? I believe my next option would be 1.5 or 2.5 oz jars. How would that compare? Would I just follow normal canning procedures?

As I understand it, you cannot hot pack in plastic. That said, I'm sure there are some heat resistant polymers that will make me a liar.

For something like this I'd suggest calling the bottle company & asking - they should know what their plastic bottles can handle. If it can't handle 190 degrees, don't use it.

Good luck!

specialty bottle has 1.7 oz glass woozies. Plastic bottles I've looked at before are only rated for 180F, but manufacturers differ.

I have looked at the 1.7oz woozies but I fear that after caps and bands I may be invested too deep. Hell I am just going to go to the store and get myself a single shot and do a test. Heat water to 190, fill bottle, cap, invert, and we will see what happens.

Come to think of it. I think I have one in the fridge.

Agree with all above me - and also, remember that testing with water isn't going to give you the full effect, as different liquids cool at different rates. So you might have success with water in plastic, then find that your sauce ingredients stay hot longer or have properties that cause a reaction in the plastic. Like 190 degree vinegar, or capsaicin oils for example.

Back