• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Hot pepper Candy Recipe....?.????

I have some bhut Jolkia powder and 7 pod powder and want to make hot candy. Looking all over the internet has only gave me one recipe. I'm thinking about making some suckers and a jaw breaker. Please if any one has a recipe, please share. A recipe without corn syrup is preferred. Thank you.

Not an expert on candy making (only made some suckers back in the day) and have never attempted pepper candy, but i would think you could find ANY candy recipe be it hard candy, taffy, and just add your powder to it at the very end of cooking, in my experiances corn syrup is the basis of which hard candy is made why do you want to stear away from it? Know that the commercial corn syrup available is not the same as the high fructose corn syrup used in food processing, if that makes you feel any better about using it. In my reserches, there is also no evidence that high frutose corn syrup is worse for you than any other sugar.  Also, if you are just trying to go for just hot candy, I would reccomend using "pure evil" in very small amounts. This way you an get the heat but not affect the flavor of the candy. If I were making hot candy it would be the route I would take.

Here is a recipe from epicurious for pistachio brittle, just instead of pistachios, add powder . . . could probably put it in sucker mold instead of pan . . .  Also, don't use 1/4 of powder . . . please.

• Nonstick vegetable oil spray
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/4 cup natural unsalted pistachios

Spray baking sheet with nonstick spray. Stir sugar and water in heavy small saucepan over medium-low heat until sugar dissolves. Increase heat; boil until deep amber color, occasionally brushing down sides of pan with wet pastry brush and swirling pan, about 12 minutes.
Stir nuts into caramel and immediately pour onto prepared sheet. Working quickly and carefully (caramel is very hot and hardens fast), press tip of small knife into edges of caramel and gently stretch in all directions to form very thin sheet, approximately 12 by 10 inches. Cool brittle completely.
Break brittle into irregular pieces. (Can be prepared 3 days ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.)

This does have corn syrup, but it's awesome (plus it's the only candy that I've made)  :)

Spicy Pecan Brittle

1c sugar
1/2c light corn syrup
1 1/2c pecans (or whatever nuts you want)
1/2t cinnamon
1t vanilla
1T butter
1t baking powder
1t pepper powder

Toast pecans in oven for about 8 min.  Stir everything up in a bowl, Microwave for about 6 min. stirring every minute and a half or so.  Pour it on a greased cookie sheet and let cool.  Break into pieces and enjoy.

I was going to suggest peanut brittle.
I add a little cayenne when I make it.

But others have beat me to saying brittle, and included actual recipes.

Sorry this has corn syrup.

I made these about a month ago ann they were great. You can use any type of pepper powder that you want. You can put as much powder in as you want. I would add a little more and taste it until it was to my liking.

Habanero Caramels

1 cup Butter
1 pound Brown Sugar
Dash of Salt
1 cup Light Corn Syrup
1 (14 ounce) can Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 teaspoon Habanero Powder
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract

Melt butter in saucepan. Add brown sugar, habanero powder and salt. Stir. Pour in corn syrup and mix well.
Gradually add the sweetened condensed milk, stirring constantly. Cook and stir over medium heat until the temperature reaches 245 degrees on a candy thermometer (firm ball stage), this will take about 12-15 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Pour into buttered 9 inch square pan.
Cool and cut. Wrap each piece in waxed paper.
Yield: about 2 1/2 pounds.

**Don't forget to adjust for altitude if needed. Subtract 2 degrees for every 1000 ft. above sea level

DO Not, I REPEAT, DO NOT !!!!!!!! I Tried to make hard candy, and let me tell you..... It felt like the whole house has been smoked with tear gas. As soon as I put the powder in, all hell broke loose. On top of that the house smelled like @ss and the candy was burnt . I'm not going to try this for along time.

someguy said:

I made these about a month ago ann they were great. You can use any type of pepper powder that you want. You can put as much powder in as you want. I would add a little more and taste it until it was to my liking.

Habanero Caramels

1 cup Butter
1 pound Brown Sugar
Dash of Salt
1 cup Light Corn Syrup

Melt butter in saucepan. Add brown sugar, habanero powder and salt. Stir. Pour in corn syrup and mix well.
Gradually add the sweetened condensed milk, stirring constantly. Cook and stir over medium heat until the temperature reaches 245 degrees on a candy thermometer (firm ball stage), this will take about 12-15 minutes.

**Don't forget to adjust for altitude if needed. Subtract 2 degrees for every 1000 ft. above sea leve

I know this is an older post but I made these last night using two teaspoons of ghost powder instead of habanero.  These are awesome!

-Alden

AldenMiller said:

I know this is an older post but I made these last night using two teaspoons of ghost powder instead of habanero.  These are awesome!

-Alden

Thanks for resurrecting this post. I forgot about these caramels.  I am going to make some this coming weekend.

I thought one of the most awesome candy recipes I had seen on THP was posted by DaQatz back in October 2014 and another post way back in 2010.  Check them Out!! Seriously.

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/51300-devils-tongue-candies/

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/18572-candied-jalapenos-habaneros/

aYJzN5Ll.jpg

Those look good, I am going to have to give them a try.

I was thinking of adding ghost pepper slices to the lollipops but I might have to expand my candy making to include these.

-Alden

someguy said:

Habanero Caramels

1 cup Butter
1 pound Brown Sugar
Dash of Salt
1 cup Light Corn Syrup

**Don't forget to adjust for altitude if needed. Subtract 2 degrees for every 1000 ft. above sea level
Made these this weekend. They were AWESOME!

Back