• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Hot Pepper Hunting

I was thinking about this, not too long ago someone posted about peppers they brought back from a trip.

If you could pick any location around the world to go on an exotic pepper quest where would you go?

I'm guessing South America would be a must? Hopefuly this is in the right sub-forum.

you will have to smuggle them back into the country.. i tried to bring some fresh peppers back across the boarder and they stopped me.
I go shopping in Nogales, Sonora all the time. I learned not to try and bring fresh produce back across the border. Only those commercial trucks that bring all of that Mexican produce to our stores are allowed to bring in fresh produce! However, I often bring back dried chilies, which the customs officers always seem to overlook, even though I know that the seeds of many of these dried peppers will grow.

Just bring back the seeds.
Be real careful about trying to bring in seeds! Seriously, you can be detained overnight by Customs if they want to. You're not supposed to bring back seeds, or fresh produce that contains seeds. If you do want to try, take my advice and when asked to declare, don't try to hide the seeds. Declare them so you don't get into hot water (and play dumb like you didn't know you couldn't bring seeds back)! But sometimes you will run across a Customs agent who will just send you through, or who forgets what you can and cannot bring back. I mentioned above that I bring back dried chilies all the time, even though they have seeds. I always declare them, but I think most Customs officers don't realize that some dried chilies have viable seeds.

Now that I think about it, if I were visiting a foreign country and wanted to take some seeds home, I would go to the nearest Post Office there and mail those seeds to myself, rather than try to bring them through Customs. It's funny, but I buy the majority of my chili seeds from overseas.

The Bandung area, in the volcanic highlands on the western end of the island of Java, in Indonesia: home of the Capsicum pubescens variety Cabe Gendot:

Hijaunya_Bandung_by_trytobeanart.jpg

People didn't want to say something so mainstream pepperhog....lol

I'd go chili hunting in Australia. I have no idea if I'd find any but meeting some sexy Aussie women would make up for it.

The Bandung area, in the volcanic highlands on the western end of the island of Java, in Indonesia: home of the Capsicum pubescens variety Cabe Gendot:

I happened to get a few of those seeds last year and have a pair of plants growing quite nicely already. Never had the pepper before but the opportunity presented itself and I like finding a few rarer varieties in the states. I have a few regional pepper plants growing this year from all over asia so it should be a fun year for me.

I happened to get a few of those seeds last year and have a pair of plants growing quite nicely already. Never had the pepper before but the opportunity presented itself and I like finding a few rarer varieties in the states. I have a few regional pepper plants growing this year from all over asia so it should be a fun year for me.

Cool! I've got 4 little sprouts of it going myself, my first attempt to grow C. pubescens. The seeds were sent to me by THP member Indochilli, who lives in Indonesia.

What size are your plants? What is your climate like?

I know my climate gets way too hot for C. pubescens...I intend to keep the Gendot plants in containers so I can move them back inside when the temp gets above 95ºF...

I got them from the same member.

My plants are coming along quite well 1 is roughly 6in tall and a bit wider and the other is nearly 8 and pretty much a circle of leaves on top close to 10in across. I started mine in mid January though.

As far as climate I'm in southern WI so not the best climate for growing chilis but I'll manage. Worst case I can always grow indoors my favorites and see how well the rest do outdoors after it stops freezing up here lol.

David

I would like go to Brazil capitol of the world for wild species of peppers to find wild pepper Villosum & some others but it is against the law to take wild rare species out of that country.I'm still in hunting to get some seeds from that variety & I hope one day I get my hand on it time will tell the story I might get lucky in near future.My friends might just do that answer my needs.

I got them from the same member.

My plants are coming along quite well 1 is roughly 6in tall and a bit wider and the other is nearly 8 and pretty much a circle of leaves on top close to 10in across. I started mine in mid January though.

As far as climate I'm in southern WI so not the best climate for growing chilis but I'll manage. Worst case I can always grow indoors my favorites and see how well the rest do outdoors after it stops freezing up here lol.

David

David,

Cool! Yours are ahead of mine...They sound real pretty.

Your climate should be good for growing C. pubescens, which has a narrow "comfort range" of temperatures. If you check out the Bandung area on Wikipedia there's a chart showing their average temperature range between 60ºF and 80ºF year-round (sweet!)...I know it gets way colder than 60ºF in Wisconsin, but it ought to be easier to keep them warm in the winter than it would be to keep them cool in the summer...

Or maybe not...We'll see, eh? I'll be anxious to follow the progress of your Cabe Gendots! Yesterday I posted a pik of my largest Gendot plant on my THP glog...

Gary

Like 15 Rivers said Brazil would be the place to go, if you were looking for some truely unique wild varieties.
That could become a epic adventure of a person's life.
The Carabean islans and contries would make for a great time scouring the countryside, then there is Africa and the whole of Asia.
There are what they call collector's pappers that would allow you to bring in seeds that were legally abtained, this would have a lot of grey areas when it came to taking seeds from wild found peppers though but who is to say that the pods were bought from a vendor or scraped from pods found in the wild, I assume that there would have to be some kind of documentation, I do know that the seeds must be clean,dry, and labled.
Like 15 River's said rare and endangered species, would be under different rules, but there are ways to get them in.
like Rivers I would love to get my hands on some truely wild and little known varieties, my problem with rare species is I have a hard time with germination as some types need months to sprout and lots of luck.
I have failed with a couple of them, I think I would have to have more than 4or 6 seeds just to get 1 plant to come up.

Back