• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

hot peppers for stuffing?

I have been asked to grow some hot peppers for stuffing. He likes the size of the hot banana pepper buts was wanting a lot more heat than that. What would be your
recommendations for this? Also, I would like to know what kind of heat would be for the ones you suggest. Are there any good stuffing peppers that are at least as hot as a habanero? Thanks, Tom

My favorites are any type of Pablano or Spanish Paquillo. However, you haven't experienced life until you've had a bacon wrapped fresno stuffed with fresh mozzarella on the grill. . . . . . DROOOOOOOOOOOL!!!

I usually just use jalapenos, and mix minced superhots into the stuffing. I can't think of anything as hot or hotter than habs that would be ideal for stuffing.

I have been asked to grow some hot peppers for stuffing. He likes the size of the hot banana pepper buts was wanting a lot more heat than that. What would be your
recommendations for this? Also, I would like to know what kind of heat would be for the ones you suggest. Are there any good stuffing peppers that are at least as hot as a habanero? Thanks, Tom

The shape of some Rocoto pods is good for stuffing. There's a giant Rocoto strain about somewhere.

You can stuff them all for that matter - stuff a hab if thats what you are looking for. I have minced my superhots added to cream cheese and cheddar and folded them in wonton wrappers for a quick fry.

+1 on the Numex/Anaheims, they come in a wide range of heat levels and are excellent roasted, peeled, stuffed, and battered

Yep, Numex for me. Poblanos have a taste that I do not care for. Big Chile in years past, looking forward to the Sahuaro this year for my Chile Rellenos. Also enjoy the large hot cherry for stuffing with a cream cheese and herb mix the wife makes up. Fresno poppers!

Sahuaros grow excellent for me but beware, not all pods are mild. There actually seems to be a lot of fluctuatioin is heat levels with many Numex/Anaheim types. Someone posted a video recently about a huge New Mexican grower/breeder who spent a lot of time breeding for consistancy in heat due to demand from his many customers making salsas, sauces etc.

I have a variety of Numex to pick from this year: Big Jim, Sahuaro, Big Chile, Joe E. Parker,
6-4 Heritage and Anaheim TMR. The Anaheim’s in years past have been pretty consistent on the heat levels (mild) for me. Personally, it does not make much difference to my taste; however when preparing a meal for non-chile eating friends, it does help to have a known heat level.

Do the Heritage varieties address this consistency issue?

Jalapenos are the ones that are wildly inconsistent on heat levels, one can be relatively tame and the next very hot, same variety, different plant.

Big Jims, excellent size and can get some nice medium burn to them. Mix your stuffing with tepin/pequins for a zippy mix.
I usually just use jalapenos, and mix minced superhots into the stuffing. I can't think of anything as hot or hotter than habs that would be ideal for stuffing.

+1 for mixing other peppers into the stuffing to add the desired heat.

Basically use whatever pepper you like. If it isn't hot enough, then spice the stuffing up.

Yeah, adding peppers to the mix is probably the way to go.

As was mentioned, Rocotos may be an option. Don't know how well they would take to a Florida climate, but they're pretty much built for stuffing. Nice thick wall like a bell pepper with a heat that can approach your typical habanero. Just google rocoto relleno. You'll want one of the larger varieties preferably- the ones I'm currently overwintering don't get much larger than a golf ball.

That and they have a looooong growing season. Mine didn't start fruiting until mid-September.

I'll third Rocotos. Gonna wait a long time for them to ripen, but they are superb for stuffing and are going to get you a LOT closer to your request for habanero-esque heat than the NuMex/Anaheim varietals.

They are by far my favorite stuffing pepper, have quite a punch, and are just great tasting.

Or...as others have mentioned, grow a large stuffing pepper and adjust heat with the stuffing.

Either way, good luck!

Back