• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Hot Perfume ???

Is there a Trinidad Perfume that is hot?  Have read descriptions calling the pepper Trinidad Perfume that say zero heat and others that indicate it is a hot pepper.  Could there be two? 

From what I have heard, it has Habanero or similar in its genetics and the recessive heat genes do crop up occassionally. The ones I've grown, I can tell where the heat should be but all I get is a mild perfume note, like I'd been spritzed with dilute rose water. It's interesting and I found the pepper pretty decent but it tastes as much like an Aji Amarillo picked yellow as it does any Hab. It's not quite all I had hoped for, only part way there.

Are there any Chinense peppers in the medium heat range? Somewhere around the heat of a Cayenne?

I've run across scads of Chinense that have Habanero-level heat and above, and also seen several seasoning peppers with very little heat. But I can't recall running across any Chinense that are inbetween.

A similar issue with heat was mentioned in the thread Want a C.chinense with zero heat???.  Smokemaster's post mentions heat of the seasoning peppers being dependent on the source of the seeds.

A number of years ago I had some plants of a heatless variety throw out the odd very hot fruit. The C. chinense variety had the same issue in Micca302's post where the fruit smelled nice but had didn't have the flavour.  It would be interesting to hear from Micca how the variety he tracked down is doing in terms of heat after a few generations.

Back