Hot Sauce Box Packaging / No Tape or Bubble Wrap

I've been using these for almost a year helping test them out. We've personally shipped close to 3000 of them to all parts of the world. I'm sure other hot sauce makers and retailers will find these to be cost effective and very useful.
  • 1 Hot Sauce Box
  • 1 Flat Rate Envelope
  • 3 5oz Bottles of Hot Sauce
  • No Tape
  • No Bubble Wrap
  • Safe to ship almost anywhere in the World
  • While supplies last you can get a FREE SAMPLE TOO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dydw8jT_U08

holy crap I was literally about to search for something like this.  o_O

O7KTE8N.png

That's cool!  What's shipping cost from HI to mainland? 

And when will they make one for 12 oz sauce bottles.10oz woozys? 

Shipping isn't from Hawaii, it's from MI. The shipping costs are on the front page of the website here http://hotsaucebox.com and with a minimum order shipping is free.

Not sure when a 10 or 12oz version will be made. There are other packaging systems in the works.

adoboloco, I was asking what USPS shipping costs for the box in the envelope with 3 bottles of sauce to ship to the customer, not the cost to get the boxes from the manufacturer.  Sorry for the confusion.

While I love these boxes, at $1.75 ea for 150 it's kind of price prohibitive. What I save my customers in shipping (and what I save on bubble wrap) is a wash.

Have you considered getting them closer to $1.00? I could do $1.25 too - but $1.75 is a bit pricy.

Once your bulk prices are better I'll definitely get on board. At $1.75 it's a wash. Just sayin.

Thanks for the feedback Lucky Dog, I understand you might think it's a wash. But the time involved packing bubble wrapped and taped bottles will take about 4x or more longer. I can load, pack and put the shipping label on at a rate of about 1 per minute. The other side of the equation is the protection of your bottles. Through the testing, sending to real customers a fraction of a percent broke. Bubble wrapped bottles had a higher rate of breakage.

salsalady said:
adoboloco, I was asking what USPS shipping costs for the box in the envelope with 3 bottles of sauce to ship to the customer, not the cost to get the boxes from the manufacturer.  Sorry for the confusion.

Ah got it... thanks for the clarification. The shipping cost for the flat rate envelope anywhere in the US, including Alaska & Hawaii is $5.70 and international $23.50 http://hotsaucebox.com/cost-analysis-strategy/

At the moment, I double bubble wrap, and then use the medium priority envelope...
About 75 mail order sales in the last few months, and only one breakage reported...
at this pace, I'm gonna stick with my formula, but like LDHS said, if the price can come down somewhat, i think it is something I'd definitiely explore.

GeminiCrow said:
At the moment, I double bubble wrap, and then use the medium priority envelope...
About 75 mail order sales in the last few months, and only one breakage reported...
at this pace, I'm gonna stick with my formula, but like LDHS said, if the price can come down somewhat, i think it is something I'd definitiely explore.

If you don't mind, how many double bubble wrapped bottles can you mail in a single package? And is the cost of shipping below $5.70? Out of 75 orders we'd have zero breakage. How much time does it take you to pack a single order with this method?

adoboloco said:
Thanks for the feedback Lucky Dog, I understand you might think it's a wash. But the time involved packing bubble wrapped and taped bottles will take about 4x or more longer. I can load, pack and put the shipping label on at a rate of about 1 per minute. The other side of the equation is the protection of your bottles. Through the testing, sending to real customers a fraction of a percent broke. Bubble wrapped bottles had a higher rate of breakage.

Time I've got.

When it comes to shipping, warehousing materials and buying stuff to use, there's only so much money. And if it's a wash for me financially then I'm not gonna bother with it .

Honest feedback - no offense. It's a great packaging solution and probably terrific for some, just not a great fit for me.

Any intentions of doing a 6 or 8 bottle package? That might be something for me...

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce said:
Time I've got.

When it comes to shipping, warehousing materials and buying stuff to use, there's only so much money. And if it's a wash for me financially then I'm not gonna bother with it .

Honest feedback - no offense. It's a great packaging solution and probably terrific for some, just not a great for for me.

Any intentions of doing a 6 or 8 bottle package? That might be something for me...

Right on, I wish I could say the same about time. No offense taken. Hearing feedback and different perspectives are always great.

No intention for a 6 or 8 bottle package. This was designed for the sweet spot which is for 2 or 3 bottles. If you need to send 6 bottles, 2 boxes and two envelopes are used. The insurance is free for both so it cost less than sending a Med. Flat Rate box. I do know they have a packaging system in the works for 12 (Med Flat Rate) and 18 bottles (LG Flat Rate) to easily mail wholesale quantities or larger orders.

BTW if you want to try it out you can order a free sample on the site here: http://hotsaucebox.com/product/hot-sauce-box-free-sample/

adoboloco said:

If you don't mind, how many double bubble wrapped bottles can you mail in a single package? And is the cost of shipping below $5.70? Out of 75 orders we'd have zero breakage. How much time does it take you to pack a single order with this method?

I can fit 3 5oz. bottlesd double wrapped into a medium sized flat rate priority bubble mailer for $5.70.

havent really timed it...perhaps 2-3 minutes overall?

at the moment i am still a small fry and only do maybe 15-20 orders per week, so I kind of have the time....

when i am overwhelmed with mail orders, I'd be in a better financial position to explore your methods and stuff....i look forward to that actually!

adoboloco said:

Right on, I wish I could say the same about time. No offense taken. Hearing feedback and different perspectives are always great.

No intention for a 6 or 8 bottle package. This was designed for the sweet spot which is for 2 or 3 bottles. If you need to send 6 bottles, 2 boxes and two envelopes are used. The insurance is free for both so it cost less than sending a Med. Flat Rate box. I do know they have a packaging system in the works for 12 (Med Flat Rate) and 18 bottles (LG Flat Rate) to easily mail wholesale quantities or larger orders.

BTW if you want to try it out you can order a free sample on the site here: http://hotsaucebox.com/product/hot-sauce-box-free-sample/
lol - I work 15-18 hours a day, 7 days a week.

What I meant was I have the time to pack three bottles of sauce with bubble wrap. But if it was a six or eight pack mailer it might be worth my while.

Bummer. When you scale this out, let me know and I'll give it a try. As it stands, it's a wash.

Good luck to your company.

I like the idea of using this not only for mailing purposes, but as a gift box. You could put your own sticker/label or whatever branding you choose and voila, instant three pack in a gift box.

Lucky, do you double bubble wrap the bottles and then use the padded bubble envelopes to ship? I saw that Gemini does that, was curious what your process is. I'm getting a few orders per week and constantly hunting for small boxes. I've been paranoid about using the envelopes!

I use boxes not envelopes. Depending on the zip code i don't always use USPS flat rate - if it's a CA, WA, OR, NV, AZ order it's not always the best method, and the majority of my web orders are for 6-packs & 4-packs.

I guess I could use 2 of these, but that's adding $4 to my materials cost.

I do like the gift pack option and would consider that at XMas, but it would be 1000x better if the box had a "peek-a-boo" window on the front so people could see the labels inside.

I had some custom made 2-pack boxes last year and was using jute twine & a hang tag - sold about 200 of them in 5 days with an up charge for the packaging included. People loved them.

They were very popular. They were also a huge pain in the ass to put together, so something like this with a peek-a-boo front would be a slam dunk.

Adoboloco -any plans for that? I'd buy 3-pack, 4-pack and 6-pack boxes from you if you had those.

Agree, we've been getting requests for two or three packs (we only do three sauces total) and have been kicking around ideas for something that we could make ourselves, much like Lucky's twine and hang tag concept.

It's interesting -- people really like the idea of getting 2 or 3 together, then giving it as a gift. I had one guy tell me he would buy 10-20 two-packs right now and give them away at Christmas. Seems like a missed opportunity if we can't come up with an economical solution, which is why this type of box would be great with a clear window as Lucky suggested.

I'd still consider using it without the window, and just figure out a way to brand it with graphics or something. My brother-in-law is a packaging engineer (yes, he actually went to college for that) for Target and I've got him on the case. 

mplshothead said:
Agree, we've been getting requests for two or three packs (we only do three sauces total) and have been kicking around ideas for something that we could make ourselves, much like Lucky's twine and hang tag concept.

It's interesting -- people really like the idea of getting 2 or 3 together, then giving it as a gift. I had one guy tell me he would buy 10-20 two-packs right now and give them away at Christmas. Seems like a missed opportunity if we can't come up with an economical solution, which is why this type of box would be great with a clear window as Lucky suggested.

I'd still consider using it without the window, and just figure out a way to brand it with graphics or something. My brother-in-law is a packaging engineer (yes, he actually went to college for that) for Target and I've got him on the case. 

I actually had a customer buy 150x 2-packs to use as business gifts. (that's in addition to the 200 market customers)

Putting that together damn near killed me. :rofl: 

So yeah - I'm not saying I can't use these - they'd be handy. But as a gift box, having the labels covered up is highly undesirable. Heat Hot Sauce Shop in Berkeley has 3-packs or 4-packs with the peek-a-boo window...I'm gonna have to hit them up and see where they got theirs. For my customers that makes a much more attractive option, and there's not much detriment to the stability of the box/protection of the contents. 

We customized it with our branding and a label. We use it to ship with and as a gift box and sell a ton of them as gift boxes. This year Tommy Bahamas even picked us up and purchased our custom branded version of this box for their stores nationally. Yes they can do custom versions of it, including with a peek-a-boo window. When we display it we just have one open to show what's in it and the stores do the same.

adoboloco-group-shot-gift-box-hotsaucebox.png

Please send me the pricing on a 3-pack box with peek-a-boo window to luckydoghotsauce@gmail.com when you get a chance.

Bonus points for a quote on same + lucky dog branding on it.

Thanks!
(Quote for 250, 500, 1000)

Wait, did I misunderstand? Is this your company or is somebody else's company?

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce said:
Please send me the pricing on a 3-pack box with peek-a-boo window to luckydoghotsauce@gmail.com when you get a chance.

Bonus points for a quote on same + lucky dog branding on it.

Thanks!
(Quote for 250, 500, 1000)

Wait, did I misunderstand? Is this your company or is somebody else's company?

Wow, that's exactly what I was thinking about too. Can you also send a similar quote for the 3-pack box with pee-a-boo window to hellraisinghotsauce@gmail.com?

Same amounts as Lucky dog said (250, 500, 1000) but I don't need the branding at this point.

Thanks!

Back