small-appliances Hot sauce dispenser

Right now, I blend up my hot sauce and pour it into 5 ounce bottles with a funnel one by one. It is tedious and ergonomically wasteful.
I was thinking of dumping the hot sauce into a hot water dispenser – Or something equivalent - that can keep temperatures around 180°– with a spigot to make filling the bottles easier. My hot sauce is not watery but not too thick either and I'm worried about the viscosity clogging the spigot.

Has anyone ever tried this?  Any other ideas?

Attachments

• dispenser.JPG
    dispenser.JPG
    14.5 KB · Views: 191
Look for a ss syrup warmer. Coffee pots usually have a well in the bottom where the percolator stem sits that gets hotter than the rest and burns sauce. Syrup warmers have a flat bottom and a variable temp.

I got one on fleabay for $100 with a temp dial up to 200f.

salsalady said:
I got one on fleabay for $100 with a temp dial up to 200f.
Do you know the brand and model?  How easy is it to clean? 
I'm looking at a 3 gallon (84190 Syrup Server, SS, 3 Gallon, Spigot, 120 V) that looks interesting.  $400.

Something similar, mine is a different brand. Older. Make SURE it has temp up to what you need. Mine goes up to 200F. Here's some new ones. Find one that works, check Ebay, Craig's list, etc. One I looked at on the below link only went up to 180F.
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/search/syrup-warmer.html

salsalady said:
Something similar, mine is a different brand. Older. Make SURE it has temp up to what you need. Mine goes up to 200F. Here's some new ones. Find one that works, check Ebay, Craig's list, etc. One I looked at on the below link only went up to 180F.
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/search/syrup-warmer.html

Thanks greatly salsalady! According to my PA letters all my sauces need to be hot filled at > 209 deg F. 

I'll keep looking. Thanks again!
:cheers:

veeCan said:
Thanks greatly salsalady! According to my PA letters all my sauces need to be hot filled at > 209 deg F. 

I'll keep looking. Thanks again!
:cheers:
>209F???

That's way higher than I've heard of. Most processors say 180-200F. I know the reports cost money, but if that temp isnt working, the sauce is scorching or getting too thick, you may consider getting a 2nd opinion. Go to a different PA.

salsalady said:
>209F???

That's way higher than I've heard of. Most processors say 180-200F. I know the reports cost money, but if that temp isnt working, the sauce is scorching or getting too thick, you may consider getting a 2nd opinion. Go to a different PA.

Thanks Salsalady, perhaps I do not completely understand my PA letter  :think:
Below is a gist of one of the PA letters - would appreciate if you could provide guidance! 
Product is manufactured as follows: (The last 3 steps)
  • Internal temperature before hot filling – 209.6 F
  • Hot fill sauce into sanitized/sterilized jars.
  • Cap jars and invert for 30 seconds
There is this information towards the end which perhaps allude to the 180 F you mentioned  - maybe I just did not know..  
Does this really mean it only needs to be 180 deg.. have I been over complicating it?  :banghead: Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• PACapture.PNG
    PACapture.PNG
    262.8 KB · Views: 157
veeCan said:

Thanks Salsalady, perhaps I do not completely understand my PA letter  :think:
Below is a gist of one of the PA letters - would appreciate if you could provide guidance! 
Product is manufactured as follows: (The last 3 steps)
  • Internal temperature before hot filling – 209.6 F
  • Hot fill sauce into sanitized/sterilized jars.
  • Cap jars and invert for 30 seconds
There is this information towards the end which perhaps allude to the 180 F you mentioned  - maybe I just did not know..  
Does this really mean it only needs to be 180 deg.. have I been over complicating it?  :banghead: Thanks in advance!
Internal temp BEFORE HOT FILLING...which means it has to be brought up to boiling.  Maybe not a full rolling boil, but definitely a simmer.  Use an instant read digital thermometer and just make sure the sauce is up to 209F before starting bottling.  You may want to clarify with your PA the temp they want the sauce held at while bottling. 

salsalady said:
Internal temp BEFORE HOT FILLING...which means it has to be brought up to boiling.  Maybe not a full rolling boil, but definitely a simmer.  Use an instant read digital thermometer and just make sure the sauce is up to 209F before starting bottling.  You may want to clarify with your PA the temp they want the sauce held at while bottling. 

Thank you greatly salsalady. I will clarify with the lab. Thanks much!

Hey, thanks to everyone on this thread, I am in a similar situation trying to find a solution for sterile bottling. 

Bottling using a funnel is time consuming mainly because I find it hard to keep the temp consistent on the stove, plus even though I try to be fast, wear a mask and am in a sanitized space, the fact that the top of the pot needs to be open while I move around the whole time bothers my food safety brain.  Plus the time it takes means bottom of the batch ends up thicker if I'm not careful. I feel like I am missing something!

I can't seem to find a syrup warmer  that goes over 140.   I hear many maple syrup producers just install ball valve spigots onto large SS pots, which has me thinking, has anyone ever used a SS brew kettle for bottling sauce?  

Yes. Brew kettles with a ball valve are used. Using a double boiler set up works for some situations.

Dont worry about the open pot.

If trying to use a pot straight on the burner, check out burner heat diffusers.

And all big pots of sauce will cook down. Just part of production, and may need a splash or 2 of water to keep it consistent.

Good luck and have fun!
SL

Thanks Salsalady!  I think I'm going to try assembling myself a brew kettle. I always end up having to adjust thickness with water by the end of bottling, but having to stop and stir it in, then make sure it is back to temp just means more burner time, perhaps I just need to practice up my funnel game, but brew kettle sounds like a better time.  

Didn't even think of using a burner diffuser!

Back