• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

cooking hot sauce from powder

I have several Mason jars of dehydrated ground peppers from this year's garden. The powders are all fine ground. For hot sauce do you lose any flavor by not using fresh peppers? If so do you have to add extra spices to compensate? I dehydrated and ground A LOT lol probably more than I'll use in a couple years.

ShowMeDaSauce said:
It works ok. My dad actually loved one i made from all dried pods. He went through over a quart of it. Everything used was dried. Nothing was fresh even the onion.
I suppose whether whole or ground dried is dried in the flavor should still be there. do you use a standard recipe that calls for fresh peppers and just substitute powder or do you have different recipes you need for powders than for fresh?

Absolutely you can. I prefer to work from dried pods that aren't ground yet but both work. What you can do it rehydrate the powder overnight in a liquid; water, vinegar, or juice. Put it in the fridge. This can be your sauce base, I find it works better than shaking powder into liquid as you cook.

The Hot Pepper said:
Absolutely you can. I prefer to work from dried pods that aren't ground yet but both work. What you can do it rehydrate the powder overnight in a liquid; water, vinegar, or juice. Put it in the fridge. This can be your sauce base, I find it works better than shaking powder into liquid as you cook.
Interesting. Thanks

Think of how many sauces are made from dried peppers. Ancho and chipotle for example are the names of the peppers dried. Otherwise they are poblano and jalapeno. Go for it.

ShowMeDaSauce said:
Lots of sauces and pastes are made with dried. Very common in Mexico and South America. Pretty sure Valentinas is made with dried puya peppers and its very good for a cheap sauce. Im really fond of the Extra Hot. I use dried ground aji panca all the time in a few i make.
Most of my powders are extra hots. Reapers ghost and habanero powders. The fun parts going to be trying to figure out how much powder equals how many real peppers lol. As fine as I ground the powder 1 tsp is a heck of a lot more than one may think.

Yes, a tsp of fine powder is way more than a pod. You can increase flavor with virtually no heat increase by using dried Habanada or other nearly heatless chinense peppers. If you dont mind dark red to brownish color, you can buy aji panca powder on Amazon at a fairly good price or a jar of paste would work too.

A tsp of my super hot blend in a 12oz bottle of Crystals is a HUGE heat increase.

A straight pepper sauce will be hot yes. But there's tons of sauces you can make. BBQ sauce. Caribbean mustard hot sauce with mango. Use carrots in your hot sauce. Roasted veggies like onion, garlic, tomato. Pineapple juice, pineapple, and some yellow bell peppers. Tomatillos and roasted onion. Etc.

Your post really got me thinking and I would guess that technically, Gochujang would fall into this category as well.

https://kimchimari.com/how-to-make-gochujang-at-home/

Additionally, thank you very much for asking the question because I think this is going to be the impetus for me to start making my own "Assorted hot pepper"-jang and whip up some really unique kimchi.

Now I am dreaming of a super fruity fermented scotch bonnet or some other chinense based kimchi on top of some fresh fish tacos...

Edaxflamma said:
Your post really got me thinking and I would guess that technically, Gochujang would fall into this category as well.

https://kimchimari.com/how-to-make-gochujang-at-home/

Additionally, thank you very much for asking the question because I think this is going to be the impetus for me to start making my own "Assorted hot pepper"-jang and whip up some really unique kimchi.

Now I am dreaming of a super fruity fermented scotch bonnet or some other chinense based kimchi on top of some fresh fish tacos...
You're welcome. Thank you for that link. Looks good!

Back