food HOT/Seasoned Pretzels

I’ve been a ‘lurker’ for a while here and I finally decided to register. Of course, my first post here involves food!

These pretzels are a huge hit with the family, friends, and at parties. I usually make two versions – regular and ‘hot’ – and I always include a warning label with the hot ones 

The type of pretzels used is important, and I always use the thick ‘dutch style’ pretzel. I’m not sure if these are available everywhere or not. The thin ones just don’t work as well.

Bill’s Hot/Seasoned Pretzels

1 Bag Thick Style (Dutch) Pretzels – usually comes in a 16oz or 18oz bag
1 CUP Vegetable Oil
1 Bag Hidden Valley Ranch Dip (the DRY Mix)
1 TBSP Lemon Pepper
1 TBSP Garlic Powder or Garlic Salt
1 TBSP Onion Powder (optional)
1 TBSP Dill Weed
** HOT PEPPER POWDER ** - see note below

Prep:
Pre-heat oven to 250 degrees

Clear a spot to layout pretzels to cool and dry. I usually use the kitchen table. Lay down several layers of newspaper for excess oil to drain. ** I usually put down a large garbage bag first, then the newspaper on top of that. It is much easier to clean up, and helps prevent my wife from watching to make sure I don’t get oil on the table **

Mix all ingredients except the Pretzels in a large bowl. Stir really well to mix thoroughly.
I like to smash up the pretzels while they are still in the bag. Pieces should be small (more area for the good stuff to soak into) I try to keep them all less than an inch or two.

At this point you have options – if your bowl is big enough, you can add the pretzels to the bowl with the ingredients, or better, is to have another large bowl – put the pretzels in that, and pour the mixture over the pretzels.

Stir thoroughly. Let it sit for a few minutes to allow for ‘soak’ time. Stir some more … key is to make sure all the pretzel pieces are covered.

Put all the pretzel pieces onto a flat baking/cookie sheet. I recommend not to pour them onto the sheet as too much oil can get on the pan, but to either move them by hand or just scrap them off with a spatula.

Put in the oven for approximately 15 minutes. I usually try to move them around a bit on the pan at least once while they are ‘cooking’.

Remove and spread out pretzels on newspapers to cool and drain off excess oil.

Once cool, place in closed container ….

Enjoy!

NOTES:

1 bag does not make that much, and you will want more anyway. So, I usually make several batches – some ‘hot’ and some regular.

My bowls are big enough that I’ll do two at one time, just be sure to double up all ingredients.

To make it easier on cleanup, I purchase those really cheap aluminum pans, which are available at places like the Dollar Store …. I get one with the really high sides

Buy CHEAP spices if you can find them. Again, some stores will have the spices for about a dollar a 4oz bottle. This gets expensive if you use the costly spices available in most grocery stores. Dill weed can be difficult to find.

I’ve tried other oils, but I much prefer pure Vegetable Oil.

The amount of spices to use is really a personal choice – I really go overboard with the lemon pepper and garlic powder. And, you don’t have to use onion powder …. This is not an exact recipe – have fun and experiment.

These do have a shelf life. They should last at least a month in a closed container, however, most of the time they don’t last that long anyway.

For the HOT ONES: This is really again a very personal decision as to how much hot pepper to use, and what kind of pepper. I just made a batch for some friends who I know like my ‘killer hot’ ones, so I used a mix of Bhut Jolokia and Habanero powder. I used approx 1 teaspoons per double batch. Of course, if they are not hot enough you can always sprinkle more on at the end. As with most hot things, the ‘after burn’ is a surprise, especially after getting the initial taste of the garlic/lemon and crunch of the pretzel.

Enjoy, and let me know if anybody tries this!
Bill

Pepperfreak said:
Thanks Bill, I'll have to give this a try too, it sounds really good and I think it would go great with beer.
What doesn't?!

Booooooooooo as I sit here with beer and chocolate. No lie.

paulky_2000 said:
I wonder if this recipe would work well with bagel chips......hmmmmmmm
Actually, I like the idea, and I'll give it a try. Only thing would be if the chips get too soggy when first mixed in with the ingredients .. if they'd stay together they would probably get crispy again after put into the oven.
Bill

Making these right now with my all purpose rub and lots of Kung Pao powder. Piccy's coming soon.

Ok here they are. Basically followed Bill's plan.

100_5352.jpg

100_5358.jpg

Man these are great! And easy. Thanks for the idea Bill.

JayT said:
Making these right now with my all purpose rub and lots of Kung Pao powder. Piccy's coming soon.

Ok here they are. Basically followed Bill's plan.

Man these are great! And easy. Thanks for the idea Bill.
Glad you like them. I usually overdo it on the Lemon Pepper and Garllic powder/salt. I'll have to experiment with different pepper powders - so far, all I've really wanted to do is add lots of heat and haven't really been concerned with flavor :)
It can get expensive - around here it costs about $2.50 for 1lb of the dutch style pretzels. Perhaps in Lancaster county thery are cheaper. I also usually break the pretzels into smaller chunks - more area to soak up the good stuff :)
Bill

That's exactly what I paid for these, but they were broken already so I just broke up the biggest pieces a little more. I think they are great.

Back