• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

heat hottest pepper by weight

I was thinking about how there are a lot of really hot small peppers (like the bird peppers) and got to wondering if they could hang with the super hots by weight. Obviously a single super would be significantly hotter then any of the small peppers, but what about a handful of the small peppers that equalled the same weight as a single super? Would it be anywhere close to the same heat or are super hots just really that damn hot? obviously it depends on the specific varieties but just curious if anyone else has ever thought of this or experimented with the idea.

I grew some pequins a while back when I was living in the big dry ditch of Las Vegas. Had half a dozen plants that had the regular pequin heat and a few plants that were almost as hot as some habs I was growing. Might have been stress from the Vegas heat that upped the cap a bit, I dunno'. What ever the cause, I liked it. Right off the plant and into my mouth, they lit me up like a pinball machine on 220v. :mouthonfire:

No they will not be.

You cant take a bird pepper lets say its 200.000 Scoville and then add another one and think you get 400.000 Scoville heat. It will still be 200.000 Scoville just a bigger amount of the heat.

But if you make a sauce for example and use 3 Bhuts and then you use same size of bird peppers the sauce it self could be as hot as the bhut sauce yes!

Ah.........yes!

You mean the "current"..."potential difference" of "proportional"... chilli's.... :rolleyes:

"Ohm's Law"

No they will not be.

You cant take a bird pepper lets say its 200.000 Scoville and then add another one and think you get 400.000 Scoville heat. It will still be 200.000 Scoville just a bigger amount of the heat.

But if you make a sauce for example and use 3 Bhuts and then you use same size of bird peppers the sauce it self could be as hot as the bhut sauce yes!

The Scoville Scale represents a RATIO between the amount of a capsaicin containing substance and the amount of water needed in order to sufficiently dilute that substance such that heat is no longer detectable.

With that said I'm right there with you on your first point. I could be misunderstanding your second point but, if not, then I'm not sure that you're correct. Let's say that the bhuts you are using are 1M units and the Bird Peppers are 200K. The bhuts are then 5X hotter on a gram for gram basis. In your example where equal amounts are used the Bird Pepper sauce would be 1/5 as hot as the bhut sauce.

The Scoville Scale represents a RATIO between the amount of a capsaicin containing substance and the amount of water needed in order to sufficiently dilute that substance such that heat is no longer detectable.

With that said I'm right there with you on your first point. I could be misunderstanding your second point but, if not, then I'm not sure that you're correct. Let's say that the bhuts you are using are 1M units and the Bird Peppers are 200K. The bhuts are then 5X hotter on a gram for gram basis. In your example where equal amounts are used the Bird Pepper sauce would be 1/5 as hot as the bhut sauce.

Yes that is true, i got the flue so not thinking straight :)

I grew some pequins a while back when I was living in the big dry ditch of Las Vegas. Had half a dozen plants that had the regular pequin heat and a few plants that were almost as hot as some habs I was growing. Might have been stress from the Vegas heat that upped the cap a bit, I dunno'. What ever the cause, I liked it. Right off the plant and into my mouth, they lit me up like a pinball machine on 220v. :mouthonfire:

You know Id be interested in testing out the theory of what Climate would produce a hotter chili.

I would be willing to grow some of the hotter varieties here in Subtropical Georgia
and have some one grow some in a dry desert climate like Arizona or new mexico
and send them off to some members off this board to be the judges.

And see if a humid tropical summer climate produces hotter chili
or a dry desert climate.

You know Id be interested in testing out the theory of what Climate would produce a hotter chili.

I would be willing to grow some of the hotter varieties here in Subtropical Georgia
and have some one grow some in a dry desert climate like Arizona or new mexico
and send them off to some members off this board to be the judges.

And see if a humid tropical summer climate produces hotter chili
or a dry desert climate.

That would be fascinating. I hope that experiment is carried out.

Back