• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce hottest sauce in the world

I would like to know which is the hottest sauce in world.
I thought it was "Blair 16 million reserve" but a friend of mine says that "That is not a sauce but only an extract. So we can't consider it the hottest sauce."
I think : "But if I add that extract to a normal sauce, then I have the hottest sauce ?"

Can anybody explain me this issue ?

Thanks
Andrea

pacio said:
I would like to know which is the hottest sauce in world.
I thought it was "Blair 16 million reserve" but a friend of mine says that "That is not a sauce but only an extract. So we can't consider it the hottest sauce."
I think : "But if I add that extract to a normal sauce, then I have the hottest sauce ?"

Can anybody explain me this issue ?

Thanks
Andrea

I have to agree with your friend about Blair's not being a sauce. I personally don't consider extracts to be sauces either. For that matter, if anyone were to make a sauce with an extract, they wouldn't be eligible for the taste contests at the Scovie awards either. So, the short answer to your question is, no, if they used an extract, it's not a hot sauce; it's a capiscum extract sauce or an oleoresin sauce or whatever else they're calling the extracts these days.

As for having the hottest sauce. I personally think our Goat Pepper (Hurricane) Mash is the hottest sauce.

But, not to seem overly self-centered about it, let me explain. We specifically choose the Bahamian Goat pepper for this mash, because we have yet to taste a pepper that is hotter. When we can't get the goat pepper, we use a mix of scotch bonnets and habaneros to make the sauce, but it's still not as hot as the Goat Pepper is. The Red Savina Habanero, incidentally has been measured at almost 600,000 scovies, and until some other pepper clocks higher, it holds the Guinness record. I personally believe that the Goat Pepper is possibly a hybrid of the orange habanero because our Peppermaster can rarely tell the difference between the two until he tastes them.

Needless to say, about the only way that we could make this sauce hotter would be to add an extract (which we absolutely refuse to do -- why make a sauce that tastes like chemicals even if you can handle the heat?), or hire a goat to individually sniff out the hottest peppers on the bush and wrestle them away from the goat before it has a chance to eat them. There is a great heat variance from one pepper to the next, even on the same bush.

The Peppermaster, although joking about having goats going around our greenhouse sniffing out the hottest peppers, doesn't think the idea is as silly as it sounds.

We have heard that the Tezpur is the hottest pepper and that it clocks in at well over 700,000 scovies, but fwiw, we have yet to even see a picture of one. Rumours abound; they include it being supposedly under Indian Army guard because they want to use it for chemical warfare -- Who knows.

Now whether or not the Tezpur actually exists, remains to be seen, but until its existence is proven, I believe that the Goat Pepper is the hottest pepper and short of taking a liquid chromatographic analysis of them, the Red Savina rules. (The Peppermaster's tongue though, in our kitchen, has the final say.)

Of course, we do sensory perception tests on our sauces in order to determine our heat scale, so we haven't done the official scoville unit tests, mostly because they also are sensory perception tests but primarily because we don't believe they are necessary, we're all about the flavour; and even without the tests, our tongues tell us our sauces are hot.

I get a kick out of people telling me that so and so makes the hottest sauce, because invariably whichever sauce that is, it often turns out to be an extract sauce or it isn't even close to as hot as the Mash. Ideally, we have often challenged people to produce the natural sauce that they believe is hotter than the Mash, and nobody has done so yet. One guy actually came to us with a sauce made with cayenne peppers, in which we could easily taste the ketone flavour of the extract.

Fwiw, aside from Peppermaster, some of the hottest natural sauces I've tasted include Matouks, Walkerswood, Ring of Fire, but they don't even come close to our fresh Goat Pepper Mash.

:)

T.

Tina Brooks said:
I have to agree with your friend about Blair's not being a sauce. I personally don't consider extracts to be sauces either. For that matter, if anyone were to make a sauce with an extract, they wouldn't be eligible for the taste contests at the Scovie awards either. So, the short answer to your question is, no, if they used an extract, it's not a hot sauce; it's a capiscum extract sauce or an oleoresin sauce or whatever else they're calling the extracts these days.

As for having the hottest sauce. I personally think our Goat Pepper (Hurricane) Mash is the hottest sauce.

But, not to seem overly self-centered about it, let me explain. We specifically choose the Bahamian Goat pepper for this mash, because we have yet to taste a pepper that is hotter. When we can't get the goat pepper, we use a mix of scotch bonnets and habaneros to make the sauce, but it's still not as hot as the Goat Pepper is. The Red Savina Habanero, incidentally has been measured at almost 600,000 scovies, and until some other pepper clocks higher, it holds the Guinness record. I personally believe that the Goat Pepper is possibly a hybrid of the orange habanero because our Peppermaster can rarely tell the difference between the two until he tastes them.

Needless to say, about the only way that we could make this sauce hotter would be to add an extract (which we absolutely refuse to do -- why make a sauce that tastes like chemicals even if you can handle the heat?), or hire a goat to individually sniff out the hottest peppers on the bush and wrestle them away from the goat before it has a chance to eat them. There is a great heat variance from one pepper to the next, even on the same bush.

The Peppermaster, although joking about having goats going around our greenhouse sniffing out the hottest peppers, doesn't think the idea is as silly as it sounds.

We have heard that the Tezpur is the hottest pepper and that it clocks in at well over 700,000 scovies, but fwiw, we have yet to even see a picture of one. Rumours abound; they include it being supposedly under Indian Army guard because they want to use it for chemical warfare -- Who knows.

Now whether or not the Tezpur actually exists, remains to be seen, but until its existence is proven, I believe that the Goat Pepper is the hottest pepper and short of taking a liquid chromatographic analysis of them, the Red Savina rules. (The Peppermaster's tongue though, in our kitchen, has the final say.)

Fwiw, aside from Peppermaster, some of the hottest natural sauces I've tasted include Matouks, Walkerswood, Ring of Fire, but they don't even come close to our fresh Goat Pepper Mash.

Looks like we'll need to try some of the GPM at some point to see if its heat lives up to your claims. Comparing it to Matouk's is putting it in some rarified air in regards to heat, since it's certainly one of the hottest non-extract sauces we have ever tried.

For what it's worth some of Blair's non-extract sauces are really damn tasty. The Death and After Death sauces are some of our favorites of theirs, if only for taste. You should give 'em a taste if you ever have the chance. Of course they'll never live up to yours... 8)

- J

LinNJoe said:
Tina Brooks said:

Looks like we'll need to try some of the GPM at some point to see if its heat lives up to your claims. Comparing it to Matouk's is putting it in some rarified air in regards to heat, since it's certainly one of the hottest non-extract sauces we have ever tried.

For what it's worth some of Blair's non-extract sauces are really damn tasty. The Death and After Death sauces are some of our favorites of theirs, if only for taste. You should give 'em a taste if you ever have the chance. Of course they'll never live up to yours... 8)

- J

Just out of curiousity, which Matouk's are you referring to? Flambeau? If so, that stuff is awesome. Last time I was in the Caribbean, I brought back 6 bottles. I'm halfway through my last one now... ;) Guess I'll have to make another trip. Meanwhile, I am going to try to get some of your goat pepper mash on line today, along with the fusion sauce. I'll drop you a line.

I agree with your sentiment that extract sauces really don't count. The older I get, the more purist my views of hot sauces. I like a sauce where the main flavor is the pepper. After all, isn't that what it's all about?

I think what makes Matouk's Flambeau so great is that they use pickled scotch bonnets. I look forward to trying your sauces, Tina.

- J

Flambeau? speaking of not being able to get things in Canada... :shocked:

Truth be told, I didn't think Blair had non-extract sauces, I thought his speciality was the extract. In fact, I was sure that both Death and After-Death had extracts. I will have to watch for those at the next Spice Boys gathering.

T.

WarrantMan said:
I replied a little while ago to a ten year old post at the fore... THP hard bumping for fun I guess. Apparently it is working. Got me...

Edit: the post to which I replied is now gone,,,

Strange things afoot on the THP....

And the Archaeologist of the year award goes tooooo... Warantman!

Digging up the oldest thread!

I know this is an old thread, but it's still an interesting topic?  What is the World's Hottest Hot Sauce?

There are probably many different answers.  The most common I've heard is Cajohn's Black Mamba 6 Get Bitten which is an extract sauce.  I haven't tried it yet, but I have a bottle in my cupboard that's scaring me a little bit.  For "all natural" hot sauce, I'm going to go with Reaper Squeezins by Puckerbutt Pepper Company.

...but I'm more interested in hearing what other people have to say!  What do you think is the world's hottest hot sauce or what's the hottest you've tried?

The hottest I have had have been from overseas, like in Hungary, there's companies making sauces that are like pure reapers and salt, etc. Can't recall all the names right now but GABKO comes to mind.

Back