• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Hottoddy's 2013 Season - Wrapping Up Pics

Here goes . . !

After reading this forum for the better part of a year, this is my first time attempting to germinate. For the past three or seasons, I picked up starts from local nurseries and farmer's market - each year picking up a few more. Last year I had about 15 plants and really caught the bug.

My seed list - many thanks to those forum members with the great SASBE offers!

Bhut Jolokia “Ghost” (Mine)
Best Orange Habanero (Mine)
Trinidad Moruga Scorpion (Mine)
Fatalii (Mine)
Fatalii/Red Savina Cross (Robin/Spanky)
7 Pot Jonah (Robin/Spanky)
Lemon Aji (Robin/Spanky)
Cayenne (Robin/Spanky)
Brain Strain (Robin/Spanky)
Most Prolific (Pepperlover)
Blue Mystery (Pepperlover)
Pi 281429 (Pepperlover)
White Bhut Jolokia (Pepperlover)
Jalapeno “Cracked” (Pepperlover)
Early Jalapeno (Pepperlover)
Morugo Scorpion Red (Pepperlover)
Tabasco CGN21546 (Pepperlover)
Beni Highland (ajijoe/Joe)
CGN 21500 (ajijoe/Joe)
Zavory (ajijoe/Joe)
Mixed Hot Surpise (ajijoe/Joe) – lots/random varieties
Red Brain Strain (Scarlet Fire/Brett)
Yellow Brain Strain (Scarlet Fire/Brett)
Chiero Roxa (Scarlet Fire/Brett)
Naga Morich – ISO (Justagay/Brian)
Caribbean Red Habanero - ISO (Justagay/Brian)
Manzano – ISO (Justagay/Brian)
Jimmy Nardello (Justagay/Brian)
Red Scotch Bonnet CARDI (NorTex/Josh)
Red Scotch Bonnet “LG” Strain (NorTex/Josh)
Yellow Scotch Bonnet “P.Dreadie” (NorTex/Josh)
Trinidad Scorpion Yellow CARDI (NorTex/Josh)
7 Pot Brainstrain Yellow (NorTex/Josh)

Plus my overwinters:
Fatalii (x2)
Best Orange Habanero
Red Bhut Jolokia
Joe Parker NuMex
Ancho Magnifico

Here are a few pictures. Nothing terribly exciting yet.

Soaking the seeds in plain water with a little hydrogen peroxide. Notice the dark Manzano seeds in the upper right - the only odd looking ones.

8428791786_67cf4d0fba_c.jpg

The seed chart (mutliples of everything except a few novelties).

8427699927_72d043370a_c.jpg

Into the germination station on 1/27 . 63 total - 2 seeds in each jiffy pellet. I left some room for a thermometer on the right.

8427699757_e81e6f04a3_c.jpg

This is the kind with a dome and heating mat. I've had a bit of trouble regulating the heat (no thermometer control). I found the pad gets hottest in the center, and is coolest on the side opposite the plug. So, I put a wash cloth and a few legos to lift and vent the center a bit and am still tinkering. My therm in the dome stays about 75, and the soil reads 80-87 depending on the location on the mat (center is still hottest). I can't imagine getting a uniform temp in every spot unless you heat from the outside (eg, a heated small enclosure) - which may be the better way to go.

Nice list...and that's how I do it, I write down on a sheet what's in the tray. I can mark notes down on them as I check out the trays. Once the plants get potted up to individual containers then they;ll get tagged...

Good luck with all that heat!

Thanks!

Wow - 4 popped already on day 4! That was fast. Three early jalapenos from Pepperlover and one yellow brain strain from ScarletFire. Just tiny hooks now. I thought I'd have a bit more time to get ready for the next phase (solo cups under the garage floros).

Some babies.

I have about 40% germination as of 2/2/13, so things seem to be going pretty well. Some of them shot up and started touching the dome, so I started transplanting the biggest tonight. I'm afraid this is the stage where I'll kill them all. For now they are inside the house under a few 100W CFLs (6500k). I'm waiting on a space heater before moving them into the garage - hopefully just a few more days. Here is a pic of some of those I potted - front to back (Yellow Scotch Bonnet "P Dreadie," Yellow Brainstrain, Early Jalapeno, Lemon Aji). I buried the de-netted peat pellets about 1/2 inch below the potting mix.

8439233069_db9187d2eb_c.jpg

Nice work! Your setup is like mine. I am at day 6 now and my Blue Mystery, Early Jalapeños, and Tabascos from PL have popped too. I hope they keep growing well for you I can't wait to pot up and get em under lights too! I hope your grow continues to be successful and hot!!

Here they are about 9 days in, most have spouted and are potted up. A few died with helmet heads the seeds were doubled up for redundancy. I still have about a dozen or so in the germination station. Only one variety has failed to sprout (my orange hab) but I still have hope. This is a temporary indoor location, as I'm still setting up the garage spot. The quick germination caught me a little off guard. The lights make some of the peppers hard to see in this pic.

8455254280_00a10c0567_c.jpg

Here are some pictures from today. A few peppers are almost two weeks old, but most are about one week. My cheap setup consists of two T8 "daylight" 6500K 4 footers overhead. On the inside, I have two 100W CFLs (5,000K) in reflectors. On the outside is a window, from which they receive several hours of natural light every day (but it's usually cloudy). A night, I run a small heater and put foiled cardboard up in the window to optimize reflection. The artificial lights take a break mid-day.

8487398998_a977b05cb7_c.jpg

Most are doing great, but a few (chiero roxa) are are languishing. Despite my space heater, it may still be a bit cold in the garage. Hopefully, it's just normal cold weather growth and they'll come around. Also, I still have to "kill" or separate many of the dual seedlings. That'll be tough.

Here are a few of the bigger ones.
8487399074_98fac36f8b_c.jpg

Looking great, most of your plants are much bigger than mine and I started before you. I am taking it slow so that I am not overwhelmed before I plant out in May. Your plants look green and happy.

I decided to take some pictures today after watering the herd. The oldest peppers (mostly jalapeno, cayenne) are now about 1 month out from sprouting. The rest are about 3 weeks. My helpers can be seen on the left side taking an art break.

8525129595_0ae43d217b_c.jpg

Here are few closer ups. From left to right is Naga Morich 2012 ISO (Justagay/Brian), Yellow Brian Strain (Scarlet Fire/Brett), and Lemon Aji (Robin/Spankyscolts).

8526244290_9cf9347339_c.jpg

Here, from left to right, are Manzano (Justagay/Brian) - they're so fuzzy, Zavory (ajijoe/Joe), and Cayenne (Robin, Spankyscolts).

8525129421_3eb0c3ecd0_c.jpg

Next are T. Moruga Scorpion (Mine), Yellow Brian Strain (Scarlet Fire/Brett), "Hot Surprise" (ajijoe/Joe). I thought the "Hot Surprise" would die, one cotyledon tore off inside the germination station - but it wants to live!

8525129773_325744ca64_c.jpg

Lastly is a shot of mostly early & cracked jalapenos (Pepperlover) with some a Lemon Aji and Jimmy Nardello mixed in.

8525129683_251661835e_c.jpg

NorTex/Josh's seeds are also going strong. I'll try to get some pictures of those next time. Thanks again to everyone who helped!

-hottoddy

Awesome grow list! Glad the ones you got from me sprouted, I hadn't personally tried any of them yet. You'll love the Chiero Roxa, such a neat pepper. Best of luck all year!

Thanks!

Awesome grow list! Glad the ones you got from me sprouted, I hadn't personally tried any of them yet. You'll love the Chiero Roxa, such a neat pepper. Best of luck all year!

I'm looking forward to the Chiero Roxa. I've got 3 of them going. They were among the slowest to sprout and are still on small side but look good. They have a distinct purple tint. I'll try to take some pictures in a few weeks.

Here's a quick update. My garage is starting to look a bit like a jungle! I may have started the annums too soon, as they are quickly maxing out the solo cups (tall ones below). While I didn't plan on it, they may also need to go into 1 gal pots/bags soon. I have had no fatalities, but did battle a few bugs that infiltrated a some plants on one tray. I think they may have come from an overwintered plant. After daily inspections, Neem and peroxide, they seem to be gone.

8576900336_81bdb0aacd_c.jpg

One of the Cayennes from Robin/Spankyscolts born on 2/3/13 is getting huge and pushing out buds. Here's a slightly fuzzy picture (iphone kept focusing on the leaves).

8576900366_5f5ab01ea9_c.jpg

I am hoping to get the annums into the poor man's greenhouse soon, but our temps have taken a sudden dive into the 30s at night. Hopefully soon!

Back