• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

How a Texan got me hooked on "roasting" peppers? Help!

Back in the early 80s I worked with a young single guy from Texas. We'd invite him to all of our family gatherings because he was new to this part of the world and didn't know anyone here. He'd always bring something "Texican" to our meals or BBQs.

My favorite was the homemade fajitas his mother and his Mexican "other mother" taught him to prepare. The other thing he ALWAYS brought was these Poblanos or Mulato peppers to put on the grill. I have never stopped grilling these delicious peppers!

The peppers used to be cheap but, have now, nearly doubled in price down here.

It seems like I'm always here asking about how prolific a certain pepper is. Well, I just don't have much room to grow peppers for all that I want to do with them. I make my own hot-sauce and powder. I pickle a lot of peppers and eat a lot of fresh peppers. And, of course, we use tons of peppers in our cooking.

So, of all the "roasting" type peppers out there, which ones taste the best? Which ones are the most prolific? Are these Italian and cowhorn peppers just as good for roasting/grilling?

BTW, that young Texan ain't so young anymore. He married a Cajun girl, has a bunch of kids and a couple of grandkids now. And, is still invited to all of our family gatherings. And, (I think) he is still a little lonesome for Texas. Ray

I like Pimiento de Padron peppers they are pretty prolific and some have a good bite to them. Most of them are sweet, mild, a little bit nutty and very tasty, but every so often (usually a couple in each batch) are hot. Simply frying them whole until they are blistering and then hit them with some coarse sea salt and eat while warm.   

Once a Texan, always a Texan!

Your question "which ones taste the best?" is so often asked here, and should always get the same answer - it depends on your individual tastes! Some people like habs, but I think they have an ammonia after-taste so tend to avoid them. Some people like lemon drops, but I think they taste like "grandma lipstick". I like fataliis (mucho!) but other people don't. Any opinion you get will be that person's opinion alone, and may totally differ from yours. Try a bunch of varieties and decide for yourself to get the most satisfaction out of your grow. Cross Country Nurseries (chileplants.com) sells fresh pods, usually late in the season. Look them up and order some to try. Check out farmer's markets. Be sure to save seeds from the ones you like. 

Most prolific? Depends upon your growing conditions, mostly, but an individual plant may have genetic issues that prevent it from being productive, too. If you have full sun at least 6 hours of the day in the area you plan to grow them in, and not too much rain, most of your plants should be pretty prolific. But then again, you are in the south, so you should know that most pepper plants will stop producing once temps consistently get above 90F. They'll start producing again after temps cool down, but you're likely to hit a stall mid-season. 

What's good for grilling? Any pepper that's large enough not to slip through the grates on your grill or holes in your grill pan! 

i am growing both cowhorns and NuMex R Naky this year and love roasted chilis. the cowhorns while green or red have a pungent aroma and medium to mild heat. the Nakys have a mild flavor and heat but are very productive, already pulled close to 5lbs off 3 plants. the Naky are also very easy to peel once roasted. i would check out all the NuMex varieties and make a decision on heat levels and other reviews. i am also growing NuMex Big Jim Heritage but have yet to get a good harvest from them, slow. the NuMex varieties are bred for production and are all great roasting varieties.

LUCKYDOG; I just read somewhere here about someone being gifted with a couple of "Pimiento de Padrone" plants. He had eaten them on occasion and loved them.

Justaguy; Have seed started for skinny James. Been hearing for a couple of years how delicious they are. Can't wait to find out for myself. Will probably plant all 3 if they all sprout.

brownb4; I assume that the NuMex peppers are, for the most part, developed in New Mexico. I was recently shocked to read that many of the NuMex peppers flat-out shut down production during the heat of summer. I know that many peppers share this trait but, it gets really hot over there and just thought... Gonna try and find a trade for some Naky.

Stiener; I agree, I've been buying the Poblanos in the supermarkets for years. I shouldda tried planting some seed from those. It's not likely they're hybrids. I read that there is a Poblano pepper that is the best-tasting and is much more productive than the typical ones. I thought I would remember the site and the name of the pepper. Both of which have passed through this old burnt-brain like seawater through a screen door on a submarine! Can you recommend a good one?

Justaguy said:
A good sweet pepper for such use is The Jimmy Nardello. Not the biggest for stuffing but still large enough.
IMO you can't beat a Nardello for a sweet pepper.
try a Nu-Mex Lumbre.  Great flavor and good heat for a Nu-Mex.  Roast them and use them for rellenos - I think that you'll really like them.

Buddy; Windchicken just recommended Lumbre to me just a couple of days ago! That makes 2 experts in 2 days! I'm ordering them. Thank you.

Bigoledude said:
Buddy; Windchicken just recommended Lumbre to me just a couple of days ago! That makes 2 experts in 2 days! I'm ordering them. Thank yoW
I'm far from an expert, but, I've grown them for several years - great chile.  If you PM me with your address I'd be more than happy to send you some seeds.  Windchicken knows what he's talking about!   Take care.

Bigoledude said:
LUCKYDOG; I just read somewhere here about someone being gifted with a couple of "Pimiento de Padrone" plants. He had eaten them on occasion and loved them.

Justaguy; Have seed started for skinny James. Been hearing for a couple of years how delicious they are. Can't wait to find out for myself. Will probably plant all 3 if they all sprout.

brownb4; I assume that the NuMex peppers are, for the most part, developed in New Mexico. I was recently shocked to read that many of the NuMex peppers flat-out shut down production during the heat of summer. I know that many peppers share this trait but, it gets really hot over there and just thought... Gonna try and find a trade for some Naky.

Stiener; I agree, I've been buying the Poblanos in the supermarkets for years. I shouldda tried planting some seed from those. It's not likely they're hybrids. I read that there is a Poblano pepper that is the best-tasting and is much more productive than the typical ones. I thought I would remember the site and the name of the pepper. Both of which have passed through this old burnt-brain like seawater through a screen door on a submarine! Can you recommend a good one?
i'd be glad to share some seeds. shoot me a pm if interested.

Living in New Mexico for a few years made me a big fan of the NuMex varieties. Chili Pepper Institute has seeds for a bunch of them, several that they have bred for commercial production so it's a good bet that yields will be satisfactory. Don't forget to let some go full ripe red, makes a great tasting powder. 

Back