• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

condiment How about some hot BBQ sauce?

OBil1jd.png

Left to right:

1. Carolina Gold - SC style mustard sauce. About 50% of that is my first, mostly unsuccessful, attempt at an aji amarillo hot sauce. By itself it had good heat but not so great flavor. But added to mustard, a little ketchup, Worchestershire, onion, garlic, and chopped Peppadews, it becomes a really tasty BBQ sauce for pork with a sneaky, building heat. The Peppadews obviously add little to no heat but the red bits reinforce the visual image of spice and will help me remember what this is compared to my usual less spicy SC style sauce.

2. Tropical Habanero/Manzano - Another "hot sauce gone wrong" salvage. I made a really tasty sauce, detailed in this thread, but it ended up waaay too thick and pulpy. It just wasn't going to work. So I emptied about half my woozies into a pot, added ketchup, mustard, 10z of "Gina Tropical Fruit Juice" from the Asian market (contains mango, papaya, guyabano, pineapple, and calamansi juices) and a couple other secret ingredients and voila! A new flavor is born. This one is mostly hot sauce so it's pretty hot but also pretty sweet and really flavorful with tropical fruit. Might be nice (sparingly) on pulled pork but I'm really thinking wings as the first test food.

3. Eastern NC BBQ sauce - Kept it pretty traditional with this one, mostly. Apple cider and distilled vinegar, water, salt, black pepper, a little apple juice, a little molasses, a little garlic and onion powder. For the heat, instead of cayenne/red pepper flakes I added my Ghost/Fresno "Sorta Sriracha" hot sauce which is basically peppers, garlic, brown sugar, water, and vinegar. NO tomato in this one, any red color is from peppers. Heat is just a little more than what I consider to be standard for this style.

4. "JC's Masterpice"  - KC style sauce. This is the most complex of all of them. Ketchup, molasses, mustard, Worchestershire, salt, black pepper, onion, garlic, vinegar, apricot preserves, lemon juice, tamarind. For the heat I added my "Mexi-racha" hot sauce made from red jalapenos, guajillos, red onion, a LOT of smoked garlic, brown sugar, salt, and Carolina Reaper-infused vinegar. Like the previous sauce, you will taste a little heat in the spoon but added sparingly on ribs, for instance, it won't probably come off as really hot. Really delicious is what I'm hoping for.

jhc said:
OBil1jd.png

Left to right:

1. Carolina Gold - SC style mustard sauce. About 50% of that is my first, mostly unsuccessful, attempt at an aji amarillo hot sauce. By itself it had good heat but not so great flavor. But added to mustard, a little ketchup, Worchestershire, onion, garlic, and chopped Peppadews, it becomes a really tasty BBQ sauce for pork with a sneaky, building heat. The Peppadews obviously add little to no heat but the red bits reinforce the visual image of spice and will help me remember what this is compared to my usual less spicy SC style sauce.

2. Tropical Habanero/Manzano - Another "hot sauce gone wrong" salvage. I made a really tasty sauce, detailed in this thread, but it ended up waaay too thick and pulpy. It just wasn't going to work. So I emptied about half my woozies into a pot, added ketchup, mustard, 10z of "Gina Tropical Fruit Juice" from the Asian market (contains mango, papaya, guyabano, pineapple, and calamansi juices) and a couple other secret ingredients and voila! A new flavor is born. This one is mostly hot sauce so it's pretty hot but also pretty sweet and really flavorful with tropical fruit. Might be nice (sparingly) on pulled pork but I'm really thinking wings as the first test food.

3. Eastern NC BBQ sauce - Kept it pretty traditional with this one, mostly. Apple cider and distilled vinegar, water, salt, black pepper, a little apple juice, a little molasses, a little garlic and onion powder. For the heat, instead of cayenne/red pepper flakes I added my Ghost/Fresno "Sorta Sriracha" hot sauce which is basically peppers, garlic, brown sugar, water, and vinegar. NO tomato in this one, any red color is from peppers. Heat is just a little more than what I consider to be standard for this style.

4. "JC's Masterpice"  - KC style sauce. This is the most complex of all of them. Ketchup, molasses, mustard, Worchestershire, salt, black pepper, onion, garlic, vinegar, apricot preserves, lemon juice, tamarind. For the heat I added my "Mexi-racha" hot sauce made from red jalapenos, guajillos, red onion, a LOT of smoked garlic, brown sugar, salt, and Carolina Reaper-infused vinegar. Like the previous sauce, you will taste a little heat in the spoon but added sparingly on ribs, for instance, it won't probably come off as really hot. Really delicious is what I'm hoping for.

That last one sounds great! Got a recipe for your final sauce? I've been wanting to make homemade BBQ sauce for ages but have never felt comfy jumping off!

Interesting idea.  I base my BBQ sauce off of a Sweet Baby Rays recipe I found here.  
https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/homemade-barbecue-sauce-just-like-sweet-baby-rays/

I go with the vinegar instead of fruit juice and add no sugar or molasses as ketchup/catsup is sweet enough on it's own.  

I add dried thai chilies to it for the heat but now your idea of adding one's hot sauces sounds intriguing! :)  Also the other style sauces I was unaware of and have got me on the trail of their recipes too.

INGREDIENTS
1 1/4 cups ketchup preferably organic
1 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup pineapple juice or you can sub apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon worchestire sauce
2 1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper use less if you don't like the heat
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt