• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

How about some mild??

There's a lot of talk about HOT here, but I'm looking to expand my profile..... I've heard good things about the Trinidad Perfume, but not sure how easily I can get it here.

Can anyone suggest some good mild \ medium types??

I've grown trinidad perfume and have mixed thoughts about them. I really don't care for them raw or in savory dishes, but they are FANTASTIC candied. I won't be growing them this year though. For a mild pod, poblanos/anchos are a good all-around type. I love aji habanero flavor - it reminds me of oranges, but different. You can't go wrong with a purple jalapeno, IMO. Slightly sweeter than a standard jalapeno so great flavor. They're smaller and seedier, but for me the flavor beats those factors. I picked up a tin of powdered aji panca, and will definitely grow that some time soon. I absolutely love Rosa Maria's Chile Pasilla de Oaxaca salsa, so will grow those at some point, too. I decided not to add to my peppers this year (I still have 6 overwinters, though) as I've got plenty of dried pods for now, but will definitely add to the bunch next year.

I've grown trinidad perfume and have mixed thoughts about them. I really don't care for them raw or in savory dishes, but they are FANTASTIC candied. I won't be growing them this year though. For a mild pod, poblanos/anchos are a good all-around type. I love aji habanero flavor - it reminds me of oranges, but different. You can't go wrong with a purple jalapeno, IMO. Slightly sweeter than a standard jalapeno so great flavor. They're smaller and seedier, but for me the flavor beats those factors. I picked up a tin of powdered aji panca, and will definitely grow that some time soon. I absolutely love Rosa Maria's Chile Pasilla de Oaxaca salsa, so will grow those at some point, too. I decided not to add to my peppers this year (I still have 6 overwinters, though) as I've got plenty of dried pods for now, but will definitely add to the bunch next year.

Hmm, I hadn't even thought about the "candied" option :-) That's another recipe for my list.

I like the idea of having some milder ones I can throw lots in a dish, or eat whole - pickled or not....

The above sound interesting, thanks!!

Heat levels are usually pretty subjective. What I think is mild might be hot for others and outlandish for some. If you think a jalapeno is kinda hot, these peppers will be right around there in heat - some less, some a little more.

Mild(ish) suggestions:

Anaheim type peppers - NuMex Big Jim/NuMex Joe E Parker - easy to find, good for frying and fresh. Best roasted and used in all manner of dishes.

Ancho/Poblano - same as above.

Mariachi - grew these last year - beautiful almost light tan color that ripens to deep red. Very flavorful with some bite.

If you can find any of these get them - you won't be sorry :)

Heat levels are usually pretty subjective. What I think is mild might be hot for others and outlandish for some. If you think a jalapeno is kinda hot, these peppers will be right around there in heat - some less, some a little more.

Mild(ish) suggestions:

Anaheim type peppers - NuMex Big Jim/NuMex Joe E Parker - easy to find, good for frying and fresh. Best roasted and used in all manner of dishes.

Ancho/Poblano - same as above.

Mariachi - grew these last year - beautiful almost light tan color that ripens to deep red. Very flavorful with some bite.

If you can find any of these get them - you won't be sorry :)

I will have a good go......

I'm planning to do a winter grow also, and compile a more planned list (what I have at present is a bit random!).

I also like the idea of having a variety of heat levels in my grow. This year's grow for me includes Nardellos (super sweet), Hot Cherry (not so hot, but certainly not sweet), Aji Limon (another great milder pepper), and Bishop's Crown (sweet on the outside, warmer inside). Then I have the hots (Brains, Habs, Fataliis, etc.) as well. The Nardellos and Aji Limons are great for adding variety to the grow.

Back