• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

scovilles How are Scoville units measured..?

Is there a way for the home grower to approximately measure scoville units of his produce..?

Or is there a way to at least make a comparison measurement between different strains of peppers..?

Without a full lab of course.

I think this is very difficult to do in any quantitative way at home.

The Scoville scale is based on using a defined weight of dried peppers and then seeing how much capsaicin is there for a given weight. What I've noticed with the few super hots I've grown this year is that they tend to be very thin walled peppers. So by weight they capsaicin % is high but they may not contain any more capsaicin than a similar size but thicker walled and hence heavier pepper. So the impact of eating say a Kraken (which are very thin walled) compared to a similar sized ghost (which are thicker) may be the same but the Kraken has double the heat on the scoville scale because it's half the pod weight.

Another challenge is that the heat varies from pepper to pepper so finding a consistent "control" sample to measure against will also be hard.

Personally, I just define my sauces as: hot (normal store bought sauce) or very hot (hotter than store bought but manageable) and stupid hot (painful).

Back