• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How can I package a pepper cutting for a flight?

So I am at my sisters house right now and her husband has a bunch of pepper and tomato plants in his backyard.. I want to take some cuttings of the peppers/tomatoes with me back home. Does anyone know how I can package the stems to make sure they stay in water and do not get damaged on the 7+ hour flight?

7 Hour flight... you want to wrapp the cutting area in some paper.. then a platic bag, put some water in there ( enough to saturate the paper and just start to pool at the bottom ) then tape it up so it doesnt leak and is tight against the stem..

7 hours is nothing...

In relation to the branch.. wrap some paper around the foliage and tape it... if its at risk of being crushed, cardboard tube or a narrow box

Yeah, 7 hours is not a huge deal. To ensure it doesn't get crushed, I would recommend bringing it on board with you. You can't take water through the TSA checkpoint, but if you bring it in a plastic zipper bag then you can add a bit of water after  you get through TSA. No paper needed if you do it this way.

I still would wrap each stem with some news print paper. Moisten the paper completely after wrapped. Mist the cuttings in a zip lock bag to bring the humidity up and also breath in some CO2. Seal the bag for the trip.

OR go to the local floral shop and get some of the watering tubes - fill with a sponge material (or rockwool) and place the stem in them.

414iseEV4%2BL._SX425_.jpg

Back