• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

How can I stop the spoilage

I had 20 or so chile's (not dried) in a sealed ziplock. I eat 2 to 3 a day. I noticed one was wet, which didn't make any sense. I opened the bag and noticed an ammonia like smell. You know - The smell fish has, if it has been sitting around too long. I took the peppers out of the bag and are now sitting out in the air, on top of some aluminum foil. After 30 minutes, they still smell a little. What should I do with them? Help!!

First - don't store your fresh pods in a ziploc. Use a paper bag. If you have more than you can use in a few days, you are going to have to process them somehow. That might mean freezing (which ruins the texture), dehydrating, or cooking into a sauce or dish. Some people freeze their pods and make into a sauce later, but generally after freezing, you would only want to use them cooked.

G - Thanks,

Now, other than washing them, what can I do 2 get rid of the smell - I don't want 2 have 2 throw them out.

I've tried the ziplock method and the paper bag method in the firdge and the ziplock method worked out better for me.

But i wrap the peppers in some absorbant paper towels to sop up any excess moisture, before putting them into the ziplock bags.

They tend to keep quite well like this for 2 to 3 weeks in the fridge.

The paper bag method tends to shivel the peppers faster, i've found.

dvg

I just scraped some black (mold?) crap off some of them, rinsed them with water and have them sitting not too far from the air blasting from my air conditioner. Just counted - I have 24 remaining. I would be devastated if I had to throw them out. The only good news is that I deseeded all the other ones that I ate, so I have a decent "bank" for next year.

Six weeks is a long time for a fresh pod, even if it's ripe on the plant that long. Sounds like they just maxed out their time.

I just scraped some black (mold?) crap off some of them, rinsed them with water and have them sitting not too far from the air blasting from my air conditioner. Just counted - I have 24 remaining. I would be devastated if I had to throw them out. The only good news is that I deseeded all the other ones that I ate, so I have a decent "bank" for next year.

Just from a safety standpoint, you might not want to eat those peppers now.

Certain molds and fungi are unhealty to inhale, let alone ingest.

If you can harvest some more seeds from your pods, that's great, but attempting to eat them now after what they've been through could be tempting fate and potentially put your health at risk as well.

dvg

You are too late. I cooked em up,ate some and am still alive.

After 30 minutes outside of the bag, the smell went away. I deseeded maybe 40% and kept the rest for the batch to be cooked.

25 superchile's with 60% seeds - chopped up, but not finely -1 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce 1 teaspoon ground turmeric 1 tablespoon avocado oil - fry on low 10 minutes - AWESOME!

I'm gonna post recipe in recipe section.

Heck what kind of pepper? If I have some or something similar going I will send you replacements. 6 weeks is a long time even in a ziploc with paper towel which is also how I do it. After 1.5-2 weeks tops any left will hit the freezer here. Now those you have, as mentioned are good for seed but not to eat.

Haha, kinda reminds of a saying mushroom pickers have...

There are old mycologists

and there are bold mycologists

but there ain't any old, bold mycologists!
:rofl:

Good luck with those! :cool:

dvg

Justaguy,

They are superchile's, (F2 open pollinated - I love saying that - Next year, I'll get to post about my F3 Open Pollinated superchiles) as they are one of the only peppers I can grow well in my garden. But if anybody is keeping track of records, 6 weeks is the max this storage can take, as they just started going bad today. I deseeded a lot before frying. These peppers are very seedy. I may have eaten them anyway raw, but feel safer after having fried them. Thanks for the offer. I'd love more peppers, but I didn't really lose anything, as I am planning on eating everything I fried up.

dvg - funny quote. I KNOW not to eat wild mushrooms, as some deadly ones look very similar to edible ones.

Back