How can it be?

Ok originally I was going to write about my one Habanero plant that is growing in the same container as my very prolific Jalapeno and Anaheim plants. It looks healthy as the other two and produces several flowers but never sets pods. This has been going on for over a month now.  So that was going to be my original question as to why this plant won’t give fruit, while the other two are growing crazy with peppers. I’m thinking it might be sterile plant.

Then on my trip to the hardware store today I see this. I swore I heard music and saw a beam of light like when Grizwald’s saw their Christmas Tree. It was a beautiful little Habanero plant same size as mine but fully loaded with Hab’s.  I’ve counted 13 so far.

So I bought it and took it home to join my 50 other plants. Of course I had to explain to my wife after promising no more plants this year as to why I needed one more.

Now here is what I found as odd as my Hab plant not producing. First the soil this new plant was in was completely saturated with water, second it appeared to be in pure peat moss with some perlite. How can this plant be doing so well in this type of substrate. The roots are actually growing out the bottom of the container. I’m absolutely baffled. It goes against everything I have ever learned on here. Pure peat?  And completely soaked. It was grown by Bonide Nurseries. This plant is as healthy as any I’ve seen, and I’m not going to change a thing, but how can it be? 

This has always mystified me too.  They get nothing but abuse at the big box stores but in spite of everything that makes sense they are loaded with peppers.

I don't have an answer.  :confused:  

I've wondered the same thing. I've also wondered how my largest plant is currently only just producing flower pods, none of which have opened yet, and yet, plants half the size at Home Depot already have pods being produced. I'm stumped.

And a question on another note. That support that you have around the plant in the pic, where did you get it from? I'm curious about it, and may just get a few of those...

it may have much to do with a dominant plant that has the ability to grab all the nutrients away from the recessive plant if you where able to separate that repressive plant by itself and after it was done stressing it would prolly take off
as for the science behind i just dont know :confused:
hope this helps a little

thanks your friend Joe

In my experience, the worst thing you can do to a well-cared-for nursery plant is send it to a hardware store.  Plants that arrive at my local hardware store are healthy.  After a few days of extensive over-watering and poor care, they're wilted and dying.  I only buy plants when they're fresh off the truck if I can help it.  That doesn't explain the soil composition - but may explain the dampness in your newfound habanero.

elcap1999 said:
I've wondered the same thing. I've also wondered how my largest plant is currently only just producing flower pods, none of which have opened yet, and yet, plants half the size at Home Depot already have pods being produced. I'm stumped.

And a question on another note. That support that you have around the plant in the pic, where did you get it from? I'm curious about it, and may just get a few of those...

It's just a plastic cage that came attached to the pot.

It's likely to be so healthy because they gave it synthetic fertilizer on a regular schedule so the soil is just the medium holding water, or it might have been a starting mix that looks like mostly peat moss because it is, but already had fertilizer added.  You can get away with growing  a plant in that to a certain size but then it starts to run low on nutrients after a few months.

There may be another factor though, that at the big box store they can just discount the runts to get rid of them or if they don't sell, toss them out to make space for new plants so what you see on arrival are the cream of the crop.

Back