seeds How deep is too deep for seeds?

This I should probably ask in the "toad digging holes" thread I started instead of making a new topic. But I figured it was such a completely different question it deserves its own.

I planted my seeds 1/4 inch deep and they sprouted beautifully.

But I have what I think is a toad digging holes in my pots and completely messing up my placement. I feel like every time I level the soil out its probably just pushing the seeds deeper and in the future could cause them to just rot and not sprout.
I am concerned because those are the only seeds I have of those varieties.

Will seeds eventually just push through no matter what or is my worrying justified?

BTW the pots are maybe half gallon sized, not too big being just the starters.

If seeds are buried too deep they have a lower chance of successful germination. Why not keep them inside until after they've germinated?  Leaving  them on top of the fridge will keep the soil warm and speed up germination.

Are they I pots outside or in ground? Either way I suppose you could surround them with chicken wire to deter the toad. I germinate mine in paper towel in a plastic zip-top bag on top of the fridge then bury in extremely lightweight seed starting medium about 1/4-1/2" deep. Had about 90% success rate this way.
Didn't read your post successfully...sorry. If they are sprouting then if they get buried a little more it shouldn't be an issue as long as your medium is light weight. Shouldn't be more than a half inch deep if it can be helped.

Posted a reply in the other cane toad post. But pertaining to this one.  I found that if the seeds had not sprouted and the toad "sat" on the pot, they just plain didnt come up. Maybe it had something to do with the cane toads poison/urine? Or maybe it was as you suspect that they were pushing the seeds to deep into the soil. I found it easy to find the toads if I went out looking for them about 5 hours after sundown. Plastic bag and a freezer should fix your problem. Tho some of the kids around here are fond of using a golf club...............

He was living in the soil. Just found him sleeping down with the basil in a new hole 10 mins. ago. He has since been relocated around the block. Hope he wont find his way back.

Funny he never used the same hole twice. Sometimes multiples in a night.

Back