chinense How did the Carolina Reaper get its name?

I could have sworn I read an article that said the Carolina Reaper was named in conjunction with some sort of contest at THP.  I thought it went something like members submitted name suggestions and then voted.  But just read Pepper Joe named it after the Grim Reaper.  On this page, it says that under the inflatable Grim Reaper.

http://www.pepperjoe.com/carolina-reaper.html

Maybe I read something wrong or am remembering it wrong.  Do people that have been here longer remember?

Sicman, I don't really know the guy but it did seem to be trashing on Puckerbutt a bit.  Even working together on a project, they are competitors.  Kind of think a person should be extra careful not to step on competitor's toes.  If not for good form, then because all you are doing is inviting them to step on your toes.

So do you remember if there was a contest?  Have searched, but I can not find what I read.

willard3 said:
The name was made up by  a self-absorbed fool.
Hope you don't mean the Carolina part.  I don't have anything special, probably never will, but if if I ever get something stable that is reasonably unique I want to name it after the town up the way.

Obviously you mean there was no contest, but who do you think made up the name?  Seems like the choices are Pepper Joe or Mr. Curry.  BTW: I always try to say Mr. Curry because for what ever reason when I reach for a first name I always come up with Tim.  With that whole sweet transvestite thing, not sure Mr. Curry would be pleased.

I remember when people from THP were giving suggestions to name the pepper. Someone here helped name it, but I don't remember all the details.

Back