• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

How do I make Chilli rastras?

Hiya

I would like to dry a few chillies and would be most appreciative if anyone could offer any advice on the correct way to make chilli rastras that I can hang up (I have never made one before)

Thanks for you time
Tori;)

I saw on a chilli site ages ago about this Tori and it gave you step by step diagrams on how to tie everything. I've tried to find it but I'm not sure the site exists anymore. NatGreenMeds has brilliant links about it. I tried a rista in Portugal with the chillis I bought from a market and all I had to hand was the hotels 'sewing pack', it looked really good and I spent ages making it so it looked attractive. I put my rista on the balcony and it ended up being a tangled mess. God trying to get that thing back to its original state was enough to make me pull my hair out.

if you use fishing line use FIRELINE this stuff is tuffer than a one eyed pit bull with the mange extremely strong i am in the process of making one at this time have well over 100 peppers on it about 16 inches long so far i will definately have to make more set-ups as the chilli's are coming on faster than i can string them up......hang them in a place where they get some air movement as this will prevent and kind of rot or mold my pepper ristras are always moving as the ceiling van moves them constatly... good luck bro....

rainbowberry said:
I've found what I was looking for Tori, it's amazing how much more I can remember when I'm sober. Look here It's down the bottom of the page.
That's a perfect example of the tying done, RB. You've got a great memory!

It's an embedded link on his menu, within the page, so it doesn't show in the address bar. Very nice page construction.

Here's a direct link to it for those who couldn't find it: Preparing a Ristra , it's at the bottom of this page, as RB said.

Thanks Nat, for some reason the link worked this morning just how you did it as I always test them but it dosen't now through my link, anyway I'm trying a rista when I have surplus chillis.

Hiya
Still on the subject of ristras, when they are dry what is the best way to store them? I have hung mine from the beams on my patio where there is air circulation.
Do I bring them indoors at any point?
Will they be susceptable to mould at all once dry?
Thanks in advance and the links were really helpful by the way!
Tori

Back