• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

how do you dry/save seeds

i was just wondering how you guys dry and save your seeds. I want to be able to store them for a little while. Also what about using the refrigerator to sotre seeds

First I separate the seeds from the placenta. Then I take a big cup and put a paper towel inside. Then I dab off the seeds with another paper towel. Then I toss the seeds into the cup and put the cup on a shelf for one or two weeks. Usually the seeds are dry by then without any mold.

I just spread them out on a paper plate and let them sit out until they seem dry. I mix them around here and there while they dry.

I actually just carefully remove them from the placenta and put them in a paper towel and fold it up and label it. Worked great last year anyway.

I pull the placenta off the seed, put it into a little dixy cup, and set it out on the shelf to dry. When it's dry, I bag, tag, and refridgerate until use.

The best way I have found is to put seeds on a paper plate and let dry. I move the seeds around after a day or two. Then store in a ziplock bag with a piece of paper. If the paper gets wet, change it out for a new one. So far I have seeds that still germinate after two years with this method.

After the seeds are sufficiently dried, I add a little bit of uncooked rice to the bag or container to act as a dessicant. The seeds will last a very long time this way.

Back