• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

how do you get seeds

"well son, it all starts as a twinkle in someone's eye..."

Just messing with ya...the technique I use with my Thai peppers is to cut the stem end off the pepper and then roll the pepper in between your thumb and forefinger. I do this over and over (just hard enough to feel the seeds freeing themselves. Then kind of push them out like a tube of toothpaste.

The seeds will come out in a fiery red devil liquid conglomeration to which I then spread over a plate and then lick my fingers.

This will ruin the pod, but it's about the best way I've figured out to get seeds out of skinny elongated pods.

You can use the pod immediately after you do it, but it won't keep long otherwise.

You can also try to take a pair of tweezers and run down the length of the pepper, splitting it apart. Then pull out the seeds with the tweezers. The above method I use when I need seed from 30+ pods...it takes too long otherwise.

Plan a chilefest.
My seed stock pods get ruined--I.E. missing the hottest parts, placenta and seeds, so I try to plan to do something with them the day of reaping.
Unless every seed is precious (you only have a few pods) I go all Rambo on them.
Scissors to cut 1/4 off lengthwise, scrape out the guts.

If I want to preserve the pod I run a serrated steak knife or razor blade down the side after cutting the top off then just sort of plow the seeds out with my fingernail. I don't mind the little bit of warm fingertip that comes from doing this IF I wash my hands in strong detergent soon afterwards but if processing a lot I wear gloves.

Back