How do you guys cope with damaged plants?

Kind of a joke topic, but I'm super bummed that a strong wind just knocked something over onto my only jalapeno plant and damaged it pretty bad. It had several leaves and just sprouted two buds over the past couple days. It now has 3 leaves and a mostly bare stem. 

I guess it's not all bad, since it can still grow and recover. Just bummed I lost months of growth. 

NtmVEqt.jpg

Grow at least two of each variety. When one is damaged or doing poorly, others are doing well. 

There does seem to be some significant variation within many of the pepper varieties, and growing multiple plants of each variety allows you to appreciate the spectrum. If you grow a single plant, you cannot guarantee that your plant is a good representative of the variety. 

Don't sweat it man, I'm sure it'll recover just fine.

I had a heavy T storm roll through earlier this summer with 50 mph winds. Literally blew entire planters over, and the ones that stayed upright, the plants were blown sideways with lots of broken stems and leaves. I just staked them back up right and they've recovered 100%.

And if it was a total loss, well - there's always next year.

Ikaika said:
Kind of a joke topic, but I'm super bummed that a strong wind just knocked something over onto my only jalapeno plant and damaged it pretty bad. It had several leaves and just sprouted two buds over the past couple days. It now has 3 leaves and a mostly bare stem. 

I guess it's not all bad, since it can still grow and recover. Just bummed I lost months of growth. 

Plants mutilated like that can recover, in my experience at least, especially if you have a year-round growing season. The plant should already have a decently developed root system, which will help in its recovery. It will take time, however... Pepper plants are pretty resilient, just give them time. I remember a jalapeño plant in my garden that was accidentally topped and looked very much like yours. It remained quite small and began to fork low to the ground, resulting in a very broad plant (for a jalapeño). But it yielded peppers all the same :)

I have "accidents" happening all the time... With time you learn, and the number of accidents decrease. That's the life of a gardener :)

Damage to plants can spur some vigorous growth.  I think the damage hurts us, more than it hurts them.  Well... unless, as mentioned, they're fighting against a change of season.  But unless you live in the highlands where you're at, you don't have much of a worry about that.

Back