How do you make dried flakes?

I know how you dehyrdrate peppers first [duh], but then how do you get them flakey?
My best guess would be use an herb grinder?
idk how do you guys do it?

Crush by hand, or with a food processor or blender, and pulse until you reach the consistency. You don't want powder so be careful.

I have dried nagas and take one and crush it with my fingers over what I want, and it looks just like red pepper flakes. So I just store them whole.

Crush by hand, or with a food processor or blender, and pulse until you reach the consistency. You don't want powder so be careful.

I have dried nagas and take one and crush it with my fingers over what I want, and it looks just like red pepper flakes. So I just store them whole.

you crush em with your hands? doesnt that burn your hands?

you crush em with your hands? doesnt that burn your hands?
Won't burn your hands at all. Just make sure to wash them well after ;)

For flakes I just use a simple mortal & pestle, works great for small amounts of dried pods.

Also rubbing the flakes with olive oil helps to bring out the flavor, some what like Turkish biber.

-Peter

Won't burn your hands at all. Just make sure to wash them well after ;)

For flakes I just use a simple mortal & pestle, works great for small amounts of dried pods.

Also rubbing the flakes with olive oil helps to bring out the flavor, some what like Turkish biber.

-Peter

yeaah that soundss good !

LOL. Yeah that works too but I don't like to release the oils until I'm ready to serve. Hotter if crushed on the spot. Keep some whole pods, and just crush them over your meals.

LOL. Yeah that works too but I don't like to release the oils until I'm ready to serve. Hotter if crushed on the spot. Keep some whole pods, and just crush them over your meals.

It's really hotter if crushed on the spot? I never knew that. & yeaah Ill keep the peppers in ziplock bags in my pockett, then crussh then and sprinkle them right before I eat my meaals.

Capsaicin is released whenever you cut a fresh or crush a dried pepper. That's why you have hot cutting boards, hot hands, hot blenders, etc. If you crush in a bag that bag will collect some of the oils. I just crush a whole pod with my fingertips, to get all that heat. :onfire:

But we're talking minuscule amounts here, and the heat (scovilles) won't be reduced, just the amount of heat. Two nagas isn't technically hotter than one, just more heat. So I like my crushed peppers as unadulterated as possible. A quick crush of one pod I found hotter than a bit of fully crushed batch or powder.

Also don't overcook your sauces, that coughing you are doing from the peppery air is valuable capsaicin. ;)

Back