• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

container How far apart should my spacing be for pots?

Hey guys, Spring over here in Australia now and growing season is underway. I'm growing all my peppers, tomatoes and capsicums in pots this year and they're all doing quite good. I have a quick question regarding spacing, how far apart should the pots ideally be to avoid cross polination? I'm just wondering since they're starting to flower and I do have the pots relatively close together.

I don't remember what the required minimum distance is for peppers to avoid cross-polination, but it was quite a lot (subjectively speaking). I minimize the risk by alternating between species (chinense/annuum/&c.)

Cross pollination is only important for plants you want to save seeds from. I would move those 5m/10m away from other plants. If you're not saving seeds, it doesn't matter. I have 16 plants of various cultivars right next to each other on a stand, and really not bothered about cross pollination, since I'm not growing for seeds.

Back