• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding how far apart to prevent cross pollination?

LGHT said:
hahah ok ok I got it so I don't have to worry about turning a pepperocini into a pod of death by mistake because i'm growing bhut jolikas next to them.

Ohh by the way the old lady LOVES tea bags.

Can I come over for dinner sometime?

In all seriousness, will tea bags prevent wind-pollination? I know the little buzzers will be kept away, but pollen is pretty freakin tiny.

Ha... teabag.

I am so confused by this cross pollination business - if I have Jalapeno's and Aji Lemon in the same plot, how can I know if they will cross pollinate? I am hoping they can't in which case I have another couple of hundred pure strain seeds tucked away - but if they may cross, then out they go!

dreamboat

dreamboat said:
I am so confused by this cross pollination business - if I have Jalapeno's and Aji Lemon in the same plot, how can I know if they will cross pollinate? I am hoping they can't in which case I have another couple of hundred pure strain seeds tucked away - but if they may cross, then out they go!

dreamboat

Yeah, that should be the sentiment within every grower concerned with genetic purity. HOWEVER, most of the people I know settle for crosses which is fine too, but you can't call a horse a cow.

dreamboat said:

dreamboat

Thats the problem, you don't know if you have a cross until you grow the seeds out to maturity, but its definitely possible that these two varieties can cross

POTAWIE said:
Thats the problem, you don't know if you have a cross until you grow the seeds out to maturity, but its definitely possible that these two varieties can cross

Thanks for that Potawie - as I would rather not grow crosses, I will bin the seeds and worry no more!

dreamboat

I've got 3 locations available where I can isolate some plants!!. Only want pure seeds of my wilds and some other special ones.

Binganero said:
In all seriousness, will tea bags prevent wind-pollination? I know the little buzzers will be kept away, but pollen is pretty freakin tiny.

Ha... teabag.

Bump.

Can someone answer this question? I can't seem to find an answer.

Thanks!

Hmm, distance doesn't matter actually, more about isolating them like the teabags ;). I have 3 Isolation rooms for my plants to get pure seeds. My resource is 100% reliable and must keep it that way :).

Back