• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

how hot is to hot

i am growing some carribean reds and we have had nothing but 90 to 98 degree weather for a month well we have been getting alot of rain but im concerned my peppers will not produce in this kind of heat any help?

I seem to remember the cutoff was somewhere around 95 degrees where the pollen can go sterile but I'm sure someone here can say with more certainty. Regardless it is not a absolute, plant genetics, and the specific variety will make that vary some and I donÂ’t know if it is average temp or a certain # of hours above etc. Last year my Caribbean reds were my best producers, grew like weeds and produced well in my 100 - 105+ temps.

I had the same question because I already killed a bell pepper and a habanero by leaving them outside. They had been out for weeks in 100 degrees, one day it got up around 110, and they went from perky leaves to cooked leaves and dead stems in a day. I wasn't expecting a single hot day to kill plants that were 1 foot tall and growing. I have kept the rest in full shade because I'm convinced the sun will kill them. What's up with that? Do containers make them hate the heat?

I have found the same, extreme drought here in southern Texas and have had 7+ days over 100 and broken records. I have to keep them in full shade or they go limp. the UV index is 10+ (extreme) very high here this time of year.

i asked b/c i have noticed that everyday they are inthe sun they wilt the stem never starts to lean but the leaves wilt.then after the sun goes down bam they perk back up

in that case go with partial to full shade. Heat alone never hurt my caribbean reds but the sun cooking them could. I am a little more north so not as big of an issue here.

Gnomepunter that's exactly what mine do. I've been thinking of trying a shade cloth but I grew peppers in full shade last year and they still produced.

I have found the same, extreme drought here in southern Texas and have had 7+ days over 100 and broken records. I have to keep them in full shade or they go limp. the UV index is 10+ (extreme) very high here this time of year.

Where you at in South Texas?

Hot here in McAllen

well i guess i should add that mine were raised indoors until 2 weeks ago so they may still be getting use to the direct sunlight to

Gnomepunter that's exactly what mine do. I've been thinking of trying a shade cloth but I grew peppers in full shade last year and they still produced.

Jonny -
When you say you grew peppers in full shade, you mean they received no direct sun at all? It's been a bloody hot summer here so far with many 100+ degree days. I can definitely tell that my peppers slowed their growth. I was not aware you had a full shade option with this vegetable and would love to hear the details.

T

Mr T, the beginning of last season I had had my cayenne's where they got half day full sun other half non direct sun. when the heat really picked up I put em in the shade with no direct sunlight and they still produced peppers. maybe not as good of a yield as if they were in 85 degree weather with full sunlight but they still produced well enough for what I needed. this year I am growing habs so we will see but right now they are where they get no direct sunlight and are growing well. will upload a pic soon.

i asked b/c i have noticed that everyday they are inthe sun they wilt the stem never starts to lean but the leaves wilt.then after the sun goes down bam they perk back up

the wilting leaves and even sometimes drooping limbs are the plants self defense mechanism against losing water too fast...the stomata on the bottom of the leaves close up and stop the transpiration process...nothing in and nothing out..

Back