• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

dried How is Mora different from Chipotle?

A friend of mine brought back some seed from a trip to Mexico, called Chile Mora, I can't find anything about it beyond that it's supposed to be a dried Jalapeno.

If it's a Jalapeno, then why would the seed be sold as Mora? But if it is a Jalapeno, then what's the difference between Mora and Chipotle?

Does anyone have some experience with a Chile Mora?

I've come across a couple different possibilities online:
  1. There are different types of Jalapenos, which when dried/smoked result in the different products:
    1. Chipotle
    2. Mora
    3. Morita
    4. Meco
  2. "Chipotle and Mora are products derived from the Jalapeno (Chipotle dried by a smoking process and Mora dried by sun/oven).

i know morita is a red jalapeño... just smoked... chipotle is a sauce they throw the jalapeños in... i think mora and morita is the same... or that's what my dad just told me... HTH...

from what I've heard-
-a chipotle is a jalapeno that has been smoke dried
-other smoked chiles (smoked habs, smoked ajis) are not chipotles, they are just smoked chiles
-Chipotle is not a sauce-if you look at the canned chipotles in the store, it usually says "chipotle chiles in adobo sauce" -which means the smoke dried jalapenos are canned with adobo sauce.

-If a Mora is a sun/oven dried jalapeno, then the seeds brought back from Mexico might only mean they were dried in that manner and not be indicating they were some other "variety" of jalapeno (like Billy Biker, etc). If the "mora" name does mean the chiles were sun/oven dried, would that effect the viability of the seeds?????

jmho, might not have it all correct~ :cool:

Chipotles are traditional Mexican smoked chiles, which are smoke dried to preserve them. The most popular types use jalapenos but not all
Mora are likely specific types of dried or smoked jalapeno like the morita or tipico types

Making chipotle is a lot more complicated and involved than simple smoking and campesinos who do it are proprietary of their methods.

Making chipotle is a lot more complicated and involved than simple smoking and campesinos who do it are proprietary of their methods.

this...

and when i lived in mexico, we called dried smoked jalapeños mora or morita depending on color... a smoked jalapeño is a mora... a smoked jalapeño in sauce is a chipotle... i have never seen a dry chipotle pepper before...

btw, wikipedia has it all twisted... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chipotle i wish mexico had legit websites with random facts...

In Mexico there are many differences in word usage from town to town and state to state. From what I've seen a chipotle is a dried smoked jalapeño for me me at least. I've heard chipotles can be made from different types of peppers which is probably also true. Sometimes a company in the U.S. or abroad will take regional term and apply it to their product while other terms just as popular remain unknown outside of Mexico. My family refuses to call tomatillos "tomatillos" in the part of Mexico where my family is from they are called tomates, and tomatoes the called "xitomates". I've heard of moras but don't really know what they are. "Chile Meco" that sound dirty!

The link I provided shows the different traditional types of chipotle

"
Varieties
tipico_chipotle.jpg

The classic chipotle, Típico, is grayish-tan, quite stiff, and is often described as looking like a cigar butt. It is deeply imbued with smoke and is both hot and flavorful. This main variety is also called chile ahumado (smoked chile); chile meco (blackish-red chile; meco is close to seco, meaning dry); the double terms chipotle meco and chipotle típico, and just típico. Further confusing the issue is a cultivated variety of jalapeño that is also named 'Típico.' Yes, the 'Tipico' variety is often smoked to become a típico chipotle.

morita_chipotle.jpg

Other varieties of smoked jalapeños are often mistaken for the típico chipotle. The most common one is called Morita, at left, which means "little blackberry" in Spanish. The color of this smoked chile is dark red, sometimes approaching purple in color. Often the morita is referred to as a smoked serrano chile, but this is inaccurate. Both the típico and the morita are smoked jalapeños; the difference is that the morita is not smoked nearly as long, and thus it remains very leathery and pliable. Not only is the smoky flavor much more intense in the típico, its flavor is much richer.
But the morita is commonly marketed as the típico chipotle because it can bring $2 to $4 more per pound with that name. Unfortunately, most of the "chipotles" being sold in markets in the United States are in actuality the inferior moritas. This is because most of the chipotles produced in Mexico are eaten there, leaving little for export.
To make up for lack of the típico variety to export, producers in the northern states of Mexico, particularly Chihuahua, have turned to the moritas, which are much less expensive to produce. Unfortunately, they call the moritas "chipotles" and sometimes claim that they have never heard of the típico variety. To further confuse the issue, in the interior, the típico is known by brokers as 'Veracruz'.

Other varieties of smoked chiles include:
coban.jpg

Cobán: a piquín chile that is smoked in southern Mexico and Guatemala.

pasilla%20de%20oaxaca.jpg

Pasilla de Oaxaca: a variety of pasilla chile that is smoked in Oaxaca and is used in the famous mole negro.

habanero_smoked.jpg

Habanero: smoked habanero products have been introduced into the United States by a few manufacturers. They are used as a very hot substitute for any chipotle product.

Jalapeño chico: jalapeños that are smoked while still green. Usually, they are culls from the fresh market that need to be preserved, and the smoke-drying process obscures any blemishes.
Capones: These rare smoked chiles are red jalapeños without seeds; the term means "castrated ones." They are quite expensive and are rarely exported.

Our series sponsor, Chipotle Texas, offers even more varieties of smoked chiles. Click on the banner above to view choices of whole pods, powders, and flakes of the following varieties: pequins, serranos, and mild red New Mexican.

pequin_smoked.jpg

Pequin
serrano_smoked.jpg
Serrano

red_smoked.jpg
Mild Red New Mexican"

http://fiery-foods.com/cooking-with-chiles/143-chipotle-flavors/93-pepper-profile-chipotles?showall=1

The chipotle setup I saw consisted of a fire pit dug in the ground and connected to a steel stove pipe that was buried in dirt.
10' or 12' away, the pipe turned up and rose about 3" to a drying tray.
The campesino poured water on the stove pipe to control smoke temp.
You could hold your hand over stove pipe exit....maybe 90-100F in full production.

The chipotle setup I saw consisted of a fire pit dug in the ground and connected to a steel stove pipe that was buried in dirt.
10' or 12' away, the pipe turned up and rose about 3" to a drying tray.
The campesino poured water on the stove pipe to control smoke temp.
You could hold your hand over stove pipe exit....maybe 90-100F in full production.
I don't know If this is thread drift but I bought one of these and was impressed
http://www.macsbbq.co.uk/CSG.html

Back