• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

How long before hardening off is done?

Just put plants outside, a week ago and there's new growth and pods and all that. Only thing is, they still droop like crazy whenever the sun goes by, and it's getting hard to tell when they need water or shade. How long is it before they stop falling over for six or so hours each day? Reaper never did, so I can't use that as a base for the rest of them.

My jalapeno and pepperoncini plants still droop like crazy when they catch the full fury of the sun... they are fully grown. Jalapeno is about 5' tall. My tabascos don't droop at all, though, and it's barely 3' and just starting to produce.

Your plants might always do it... hard to say. You may have to water more often.... check the weight of the pots before you do. If they feel light, give them a good soaking, and they'll perk right back up within an hour.

Did you ease them into the sun?

I go a week these days. My deck is covered and pretty sheltered on two sides. Never had any droop that I noticed.

The short answer is "it depends upon your local conditions." I've seen it take as short as two weeks to as long as several weeks. I live in an area that gets snow for a significant portion of the year, and our springtime weather can be a true rollercoaster. Rarely does it get warm and stay that way long enough to get my plants hardened off in just a couple of weeks. Instead, I haul them in and out as the weather dictates, so hardening off takes a lot longer here than when I lived in the South. 

Keep in mind that a plant's age alone does not make it acclimated to the outdoors. After bringing the plants indoors for several months, my 3+ year overwinters must be hardened off just like the new plants. 

It would help if you tell us what you've already done to protect them and gradually introduce them to the great outdoors. Also, pictures of the plants would help, so we can understand fully what is going on.

I live about 15 miles from geeme and I have to shuttle my plants in and out as well, so they take much longer to harden off. I only have about 8 plants out of 40ish that can take several hours of direct sunlight. Some of the slackers are drooping after 15 minutes in the sun!

geeme said:
The short answer is "it depends upon your local conditions." I've seen it take as short as two weeks to as long as several weeks. I live in an area that gets snow for a significant portion of the year, and our springtime weather can be a true rollercoaster. Rarely does it get warm and stay that way long enough to get my plants hardened off in just a couple of weeks. Instead, I haul them in and out as the weather dictates, so hardening off takes a lot longer here than when I lived in the South. 

Keep in mind that a plant's age alone does not make it acclimated to the outdoors. After bringing the plants indoors for several months, my 3+ year overwinters must be hardened off just like the new plants. 

It would help if you tell us what you've already done to protect them and gradually introduce them to the great outdoors. Also, pictures of the plants would help, so we can understand fully what is going on.
Agreed!
Without a better description and or pics it is difficult to say whether you are having hardening off issues or the plants have used the available moisture in the soil and just need a drink. I am just starting to get a handle on getting my indoor grows hardened off,(first year indoor start). I have one corner off the house on the NE side that I can place my plants. they get a good amount of ambient sunlight and maybe just a hint of direct in the early AM. I have moved them to direct sun in as few as 4 days. Some of these plants still show signs of exposure but nothing to the extent they cannot over come in time and without having significant negative effects on them.  I am fairly far north and like Geeme can have some real issues in timing the introduction of our crops to the outdoor conditions (especially this year).

Back